• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Breath of the Wild Added to Zelda's Ever-Evolving Timeline

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:59 pm Reply with quote
This is... not a good article, if I may. Because of 1), it wasn't actually added to the timeline at all, so I don't know why the title says it was. And 2), "the player always controls the elven adventurer Link, rescues Princess Zelda, and defeats the evil Ganon", which is wrong on all counts. I don't mean to be rude, but I don't know what else to call this title but clickbait, unless an error was made somehow.
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:23 pm Reply with quote
To be fair to them, BoTW takes place est. 10,000+ years after any current Zelda title. In my opinion it almost doesn’t matter where it takes place on the timeline because the huge gap of time can mean that the events of any of the games would be rendered null. Like the Rito of BoTW could be an entirely new kind of Rito and not the ones in Wind Waker. A result of a different kind of evolution over the course of 10,000 years.

Plus it probably gives them an excuse to make BoTW a new fourth timeline.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:10 pm Reply with quote
This is pretty heavy on the click-bait side for ANN.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:02 pm Reply with quote
I expect better from Ann

You guys are better then this, I am wondering why Zack would allow this article to go up like this
Tripple-A

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:52 pm Reply with quote
It was pretty obvious that BotW is at the end of the timeline, the only question is which timeline.

PS: Bad clickbait article
anddo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:59 pm Reply with quote
I'll save everyone the trouble now. It takes place after Zelda II in the Downfall Timeline. There are multiple reasons why which I'm too exhausted to lay out fastidiously but involves the Zora scriptures in Zora's Domain mentioning Ruto as a Sage which should only be the case in the Downfall and Adult Timelines but never the Child Timeline, the inclusion of Lynels, the lack of a Triforce (after ALttP Link claimed it and its rediscovering in Zelda 1 & 2), the multiple allusions to the NES games with Death Mountain's theme playing a remix of the NES final dungeon and the official green tunic of the game being derived from Zelda 1 & 2. Ganon is also inarguably the biggest whistleblower, as he's stated to have attacked Hyrule several times which is true of the DT (OoT, ALttP, LoZ, and now BotW) but not true of CT (only attacked once in FSA) or AT (sealed in the Sacred Realm and attacked once more in TWW).

Incidentally there are virtually no reasons as to why it would ever be at the end of the Child or Adult Timelines. There's absolutely no evidence. The AT is contradicted by the Great Sea and New Hyrule, which would have to be de-Earthed and deflooded for it to fit in its only potential placement after Spirit Tracks which is just contrived. The BIGGEST falsidical however are believers in the Child Timeline since they believe the Champions cutscene in BotW, which is a clear homage and mentions "[being] skyward bound, adrift in time, or steeped in the glowing embers of twilight", which refer to Skyward Sword, Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess. Due to these fitting with a CT placement and being the only games mentioned in the English version of the cutscene, many delusional CT supporters took it as gospel, failing to recognize that BotW was originally written in Japanese and translated to English. The original, full script being as follows:

Zelda wrote:

空を舞い 時を巡り 黄昏に染まろうとも "Even if you dance the skies, you travel through time or you are dyed in twilight"
海を越え 神の作れし黄金の を求めん時 "You cross the seas when you seek the gold made by the gods"

The speech is immediately trivialized by the inclusion of references to The Wind Waker (Adult Timeline) and Triforce of the Gods (the Japanese name for A Link to the Past, which is in the Downfall Timeline). If it mentions all three timelines, the whole speech can thus be discarded as fanwank and has no place in the discussion.

Of course this has sparked many CT supporters to "suddenly awaken" as Convergence theorists which is not only preposterous but also equally pathetic. The game is very clearly Downfall Timeline and the developers are now shying away from revealing it in the face of a rabid community.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1