Forum - View topic
Ad Skin Blank Space




Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Dessa



Joined: 14 Jul 2004
Posts: 4337
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Not sure if this should've been in feedback or here, but I figured it was more of a technical thing, so...


Some of the recent ad skins have had a lot of blank space. As in, a good chunk of screen on the outside of the ad skin is just extra background image, with no content. Coinciding with this, I've also noticed that the ad skins come out more than they used to, making the site content window skinnier. I'm guessing this is so that smaller resolutions can still see the full ad, but for ads that only use up "x" amount of width, is there any way to make the site content wider, to get rid of the blank space?

I always switch immediately to the ANN 5.0 blank "skin" anyway, but as an artist, the negative ad space bugs me.





As a (mostly) unrelated note, one time I just happen to be on-site when the ad skin changed, and it immediately changed for me. Is there any way to make it so that the skin doesn't change during your current session unless you do it manually? It was really annoying to have to change to ANN 5.0 twice in under 10 minutes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Tempest
ANN Publisher & CEO


Joined: 29 Dec 2001
Posts: 9478
Location: Do not message me for support.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:16 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
As a (mostly) unrelated note, one time I just happen to be on-site when the ad skin changed, and it immediately changed for me. Is there any way to make it so that the skin doesn't change during your current session unless you do it manually? It was really annoying to have to change to ANN 5.0 twice in under 10 minutes.


Easy one first: You were probably visiting right at midnight ET, which is when the skins usually change.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
Tempest
ANN Publisher & CEO


Joined: 29 Dec 2001
Posts: 9478
Location: Do not message me for support.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:29 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Some of the recent ad skins have had a lot of blank space. As in, a good chunk of screen on the outside of the ad skin is just extra background image, with no content.

The skins are designed by the advertisers themselves, or their agencies. We don't really have much control over their artistic / graphic design / layout choices.

Quote:
Coinciding with this, I've also noticed that the ad skins come out more than they used to, making the site content window skinnier.

Hmm, no, this shouldn't be the case. The skins only have 200 pixels reserved for them in each gutter. This hasn't changed. If your screen is wide, and/or the content of the page is narrow, the skin gets more space. In article pages, this can be somewhat controlled by your text width setting. One the front page, the page is limited to 5 columns (including side bar) of thumbnails. So on a really wide screen (eg: 4k), there's a lot of space for the skin. Most of our advertisers aren't testing on 4k, so they don't notice that this leaves a lot of blank space.... Most of the skins look pretty bad on 4k Sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group