• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bloom Into You (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:00 pm Reply with quote

Bloom Into You (TV)

Genres: drama, romance
Themes: yuri

Plot Summary: Yū has always loved shōjo manga and awaits the day she gets a love confession that sends her heart aflutter with bubbles and blushes, and yet when a junior high classmate confesses his feelings to her, she feels nothing. Disappointed and confused, Yū enters high school still unsure how to respond. That's when Yū sees the beautiful student council president Nanami turn down a suitor with such maturity that she's inspired to ask her for help. But then the next person to confess to Yū is Nanami herself.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:48 am Reply with quote
Episode 1:

I think this was a neat first episode with a lot of potential.

We got mostly Nanami and Yuu doing the storytelling with their characters. There's definitely some character bonding with the hands holding and talking. Yuu refers Nanami as a senpai so there's also a good amount of respect there.

The animation quality impresses me so far with the atmospheric setting and vibrant coloring. I think even the music works well so far for the show too. (even the ED theme song)

Hope they can keep me engaged with the character drama.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pharmboy23

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:12 am Reply with quote
Heh, so I basically made this account so I can follow along with the series. Much the same way that I also have HIDIVE for this series.

I only got back into anime/manga this January after a very long hiatus and for some reason I did what any older straight white dude does and started devouring all the yuri I could get my hands on... look, I just find it cute and charming.

Anyway, this manga was head and shoulders above pretty much anything in the genre for a bunch of reasons and I’m so excited to devour this episode after work today (I have read the five volumes in English all several times). I’m interested to see where the anime ends - my money is on the cultural festival.

I’m still not 100% on Yuu’s asexuality, but hey, there are two asexual characters in the series then, so go representation!The consent issue is also... interesting. Citrus it’s not, but Nanami definitely has some boundary issues at points. But, those dynamics do shift as the series goes; Nanami turns out to be a pretty fascinating character in her own right who really needs to figure herself out.

I think volume 3 has the most consent line-crossing, but volume 5 has an excellent payoff for that dynamic that comes from Yuu at a point where she really steps it up as the lead of the series, and she was already amazing before. That whole scene is just really great. I cannot wait to see it animated.
pharmboy23

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Well, that was delightful. The use of the water was really a nice touch, but it was fantastic just to see the series in motion.

As with the first volume of the manga, it is a little odd how Nanami goes from zero to a hundred with regards to Yuu in so little time, but I can live with it. Yuu’s great, it all looked exactly as I was expecting, though I figured Saeki would have lighter hair.

More please.
pharmboy23

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:18 pm Reply with quote
I adore this show. I love these characters and seeing this story up on screen is such a treat.

I figured they would have gotten through the campaign speeches this episode. A little cost cutting in the second half but they nailed the train scene. Clearly they’re pushing the animation where it counts. Great scene.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:26 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

I keep waiting for something that shows that Yuu would be attracted to girls, but in the end it looks like she is most likely asexual. That, or she just has strange expectations, that she does not recognise her own feelings, but that kind of feels like it would be a but unfair in giving the idea that asexual people can be fixed. Although, also strange that a romance series would have an asexual main character in the first place.
pharmboy23

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:11 am Reply with quote
I think Yuu’s just developing (blooming?) reeeeeeally slowly. And that’s not to take away from people’s interpretations - it isn’t like she couldn’t love Nanami back and still be asexual. It’s just that within the series there is a completely asexual character and they make no bones about how they view romance and that it’s quite different from what Yuu thinks.

How that really plays out hasn’t exactly been addressed in the manga either, but there are hints that Yuu’s a lot more into Nanami than she lets on. I really do love how fantastically subtle some of the story can be.
pharmboy23

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3!

Lots of good bits, I like Yuu’s pain in the butt sister a lot. Just as fun as the manga.

The speech and monologue from Yuu at the end work better in the anime I think. The way they use the speech to punctuate her internal monologue leading to her decision was well done.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:24 am Reply with quote
I do think that there was a nice verbal shift when she went from just reading the script, to saying what she actually thinks and the impact her senpai has had on her. The fact that they were open like that, accepting of weaknesses, kind of feels like a nice foundation for a relationship, if that is what Yuu gets interest in, and Yuu does seem to show a bit of interest. Her sister making the joke about a girlfriend, is kind of funny.

Also mention for a character coming out in saying they don’t like needless drama of characters not saying that they like the other party when they do.
pharmboy23

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:18 am Reply with quote
Also it’s so far the best hair stroking scene I’ve seen this year Wink
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:47 am Reply with quote
pharmboy23 wrote:
Also it’s so far the best hair stroking scene I’ve seen this year Wink

Better than The Legendary Yamada Tae?

pharmboy23

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:14 am Reply with quote
Well, now I just don’t know what to think.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:51 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

It does seem like Yuu may have fallen in love, without realizing it. Her comments about not being uninterested in kissing was one thing, but it also seems hinted that she has so far been against the play, from the point about how stressed she saw Nanami before the speech. Indeed looks like Yuu is not realizing these things, because it is not some big explosion of feelings, but a slow one, like the blooming of a flower.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:39 am Reply with quote
True. Though the very first thing Yuu said about Touko in episode 1 was that she was a beautiful cool senpai. Her friends thought she was enarmored by a cool dude instead.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:05 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

She seems kind of desperate to have some sort of surge of feelings to show that it right, and explicit she has not yet, although she also seems to keep on trying to say that she would do the things she is if it was anyone.

It has been bothering me for a bit, and I can't find a credit reason, but there is something about the ED that keeps making me think of Toradora, like the song makes me think of one from that series. The voice actresses are just credited on the page, and the one handling the music for the series, although done some good series, I can't attribute it to why I am thinking Toradora. I am just weird sometimes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2