• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Funimation's Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos Anime Film License Expires on November 21

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Why didn't Funimation just renew the license?
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Thankful I bought it when it first came out.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Im actually surprised it took this long to expire. If only this movie was streaming; then I could check it out (I tend not to buy home media).
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Looks like I better get this film soon. I already miss out on getting the other FMA home videos when they expired. Thankfully I manage to get some of the DVDs, but I still have a few to get.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Clyde_Cash wrote:
Why didn't Funimation just renew the license?

Not that simple. The short version is the company who owns the rights has to agree to let them renew it. In this case Aniplex. Who are denying renewals to a lot of their stuff and taking them back to try and pump fans for all their cash by re-releasing it after a while at double or triple the price.
Beansprout Midget

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Heh, I thought there was some FMA news at first.

Glad I bought this when the original licenses were expiring. Too bad it's only on DVD; I didn't have the money to splurge on the blu-rays.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
to try and pump fans for all their cash by re-releasing it after a while at double or triple the price.

Except that Aniplex USA rarely rereleases OOP shows. I see this pattern of non renewals more as being big dicks rather than just being greedy bastards.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:36 pm Reply with quote
I'd only recommend this to hardcore completionist fans. Honestly, Conqueror of Shamballa was way better. Weak villains and controversial ending aside, at least it had a lot of heart and great moments. I personally think this movie was just a weird, forgettable Shounen Anime Film. It's just another Broly or YYH: Poltergeist Report.
JustStopPlz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:45 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:
to try and pump fans for all their cash by re-releasing it after a while at double or triple the price.

Except that Aniplex USA rarely rereleases OOP shows. I see this pattern of non renewals more as being big dicks rather than just being greedy bastards.

They have been rereleasing select shows in a complete series set. The Irregular at Magic High School, for example, got a complete series set this week. Still at a high price, but cheaper than their premium edition sets. They did the same thing for Sword Art Online and Madoka. Possibly others, but those two were the only ones I paid attention too. For something like FMA, they won't sit on that cash cow for too long.

For their less popular series though, those will never see the light of day again.

RIP: Asterik War, Blue Exorcist, Nisekoi, Servant X Service, Silver Spoon, SaeKano, Valvrave, Working!!!, and others.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:15 pm Reply with quote
@JustStopPlz

I should have been clearer. I was talking about Aniplex USA rarely rereleasing anime previously licensed by another U.S. publisher. I was not taking about Aniplex USA rereleasing newer shows that they always had the licenses for.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:59 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
@JustStopPlz

I should have been clearer. I was talking about Aniplex USA rarely rereleasing anime previously licensed by another U.S. publisher. I was not taking about Aniplex USA rereleasing newer shows that they always had the licenses for.

That is true. I had not considered that. Either way, being dicks or just greedy, it's just another day in the park for Aniplex. About the only company that is worse is Ponycan. I think I need to go through my wish list of shows, find which ones are Aniplex titles, and then buy them now before they swallow them back up as well.
Coup d'État

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:08 am Reply with quote
Honestly, the new price tag for the FMA:B series is absurd. I just bought the complete UK version for £30, so about 40$. That leaves you with 160$ to get a region B player. Just saying.
nDroae

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:24 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
I'd only recommend this to hardcore completionist fans. Honestly, Conqueror of Shamballa was way better. Weak villains and controversial ending aside, at least it had a lot of heart and great moments. I personally think this movie was just a weird, forgettable Shounen Anime Film. It's just another Broly or YYH: Poltergeist Report.

Yeah, I thought Conqueror of Shamballa was pretty cool.

I have to see Milos because I'm a fan of the composer based on Gargantia and Kado: The Right Answer (which I bought on CD). I listened to the Milos soundtrack and it was great. This guy:
https://myanimelist.net/people/5948/Taro_Iwashiro
person#4527
I guess I should submit his credit on Kado... I've done that before on MAL but never tried on ANN.

I'm watching Brotherhood for the first time and have had it on hold at 26 for a month, I know Milos is non-canon "filler" but now I see someone saying it's meant to be a sequel (which doesn't seem possible given the poster), and someone else saying it's set around episode 20. If it's the latter then I'll get it over with before I continue, because I don't want a subpar original movie being the last part I see.
mgosdin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:46 am Reply with quote
JustStopPlz wrote:
For their less popular series though, those will never see the light of day again.

RIP: Asterik War, Blue Exorcist, Nisekoi, Servant X Service, Silver Spoon, SaeKano, Valvrave, Working!!!, and others.

At least this will be so until someone in the "Green Eyeshade" accounting brigade starts asking "Why are these properties not generating any revenue?"

Greedy or just being Pricks, how about embracing the healing power of "and"?

Mark Gosdin
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:02 am Reply with quote
It's Fullmetal Alchemist so of course Aniplex will re-release it in a year or two plus this is a movie, a really crappy movie (but then so was Shamballa) but a movie nonetheless and their releases of those have always been affordable (with some exceptions like the Garden of Sinners box sets)

The only thing that will suck about a re-release is the removal of any dub extras that FUNi made which is this case, is just a single lame audio commentary so that won't be missed compared to something good like the one Outtakes extra on their last Brotherhood sets.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2