• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: PlayStation Classic Reveals Full Game Lineup for Japan, West

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:18 am Reply with quote
Too bad that they left out Gran Turismo 2, what a shame about Sony's direction.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:29 am Reply with quote
Destruction Derby.. wow there is a title I haven't seen in awhile. I may need to dust it off and give it a play now.

I am more interested in the JP version.. with armored core listed.

Give it a week or so, and they will have these hacked and playing entire PSX libraries.. lol

Philosoma anyone?
#t4bbris

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:37 am Reply with quote
Do you think the revelations: persona game will be the weird, super localized version? Or will they spend the time to make it closer to the PSP port? I guess I should expect the old localized one that was actually called Revelations: Persona
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:03 am Reply with quote
Crap, no Lunar: Silver Star Story. Oh well.
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:31 am Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Crap, no Lunar: Silver Star Story. Oh well.

I'm with ya 100%, though i'd rather of seen lunar 2 eternal blue instead, since it never got a remake past the ps1 version and many people missed out on a great game

I'm rpg biased though, Id rather the catalog be filled with chrono cross, xenogears , takes of destiny ..etc o well.
Swiftyy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Well ain't that list underwhelming... I'm sure hackers will have a field day with this like they did with Nintendo's classic systems.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I see a lot of people online either being confused or downright hateful about this roster, which I think just shows how much people tend to equate their personal feelings with how things are "supposed to be". For example, did people seriously expect Tomba! to get included in this? I'm not ragging on the game itself, but it's the very definition of a hyper-cult-classic, even more so than something like Klonoa, so anyone who seriously felt that Tomba! would see inclusion was being delusional. Sure, both the game & its sequel saw digital re-releases as PSOne Classics, but those only came through the involvement of MonkeyPaw Games, and I don't even think that company's around anymore.

To take from this very forum, even, there was never any chance at Lunar: Silver Star Story being included, especially since it never got re-released as a PSOne Classic. Gran Turismo 2, on the other hand, has a soundtrack filled with licensed music, making its inclusion next to impossible, barring the complete removal of said soundtrack, which would make it about as pointless as those re-releases of Crazy Taxi without the songs by The Offspring & Bad Religion. Also, most of the games included in this product don't require analog sticks, with the only exception being Ridge Racer Type 4, so that also has to be taken into consideration with how the selections were made.

Really, just about every game picked for the American/European model makes sense, with the only exception (personally) being Rainbow Six, especially since it's not even considered a good port to start with. Could some of the franchises seeing representation be given better picks? Sure. I agree that going with Twisted Metal 1 over TM2 is odd, I would have preferred Toshinden 2 over BAT1, or Destruction Derby 2 over DD1, but at the same time the first entries for those are likely the more iconic from a launch perspective, which seems to be the focus here; Tekken 3 & Ridge Racer Type 4 are really the only outliers in that regard.
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:46 pm Reply with quote
While I agree that the lineup is pretty disappointing and seemingly made for nobody aside from the curious that weren't around/never played the original console (Destruction Derby 1 over 2?), it's also true that people's expectations were unrealistic for what would available.

Lunar Silver Star Story was never going to be on it. Or Xenogears. Or Parasite Eve. Or Chrono Cross, Legend of Mana, FF Tactics, Valkyrie Profile, etc, etc. Part of that is because the Classic label exclusivity, but also because none of those titles have never been released in Europe, meaning the moment the mini console was announced as being marketed to all western regions, many cult classics would be automatically locked out of various regions. It's an unwelcome reminder of a time when the NTSC/PAL division caused a lack of cohesion between Sony's western territories, with America & Europe often having wildly different marketing and licensing models. Not too different from how the anime licensing market remains today.
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:58 pm Reply with quote
VERY VERY weird selection of games here... to be honest I'd rather have a bunch of the games that the Japanese one is getting, but the one thing I AM super happy about is seeing INTELLIGENT QUBE on there!!! It's the one I most wanted, and least expected, so that's something to be happy about.

The selection of titles (if one were to buy each game on the 2nd hand market) is a good bargain in that sense, but we will see how well it actually sells.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Intelligent Qube I'm actually not too surprised by - I remember the TV ads playing seemingly all the time, so it was one of the first things I associated with the brand.

But I suppose the main thing that makes this roster feel a bit wack to me is the games that are on here largely because of their more popular sequels. Grand Theft Auto and Persona in particular...I mean, not to say that these are undeserving or whatever, but they're franchises that would come to mind more immediately for a PS2 classic, maybe not so much here.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Swiftyy wrote:
Well ain't that list underwhelming... I'm sure hackers will have a field day with this like they did with Nintendo's classic systems.

Re-purposing the emulator will be a relative breeze, though I expect some degree of soldering wizardry may be requisite for overcoming the lack of analogue sticks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gator Gamer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Really, just about every game picked for the American/European model makes sense, with the only exception (personally) being Rainbow Six, especially since it's not even considered a good port to start with. Could some of the franchises seeing representation be given better picks? Sure. I.

I just have zero interest or attachment to all those American titles on the list. I grew up with Japanese games and the Japanese list looks a lot more appealing. Razz SaGa Frontier, Parasite Eve, and Arc the Lad were my jams back in the day. I guess it's just another way Sony is abandoning it's Japanese roots.
Heishi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:52 pm Reply with quote
An interesting selection, to say the least. No Crash or Spyro, or even SoTN.
But I can understand some of the choices here.

Perhaps they are going for a more "out there" selection which I can appreciate.

Still, the lack of Xenogears, Klonoa, or even Guilty Gear makes me a bit sad.
Although, I do like seeing Intelligent Qube on there. Love the soundtrack to that one.

Last edited by Heishi on Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Northlander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:58 pm Reply with quote
I hope this thing does well enough, but honestly, that lineup of game couldn't possible be more ill-picked for my case. The few games I am interested in, one is already available on the PS4, and for the rest... well, my PS1 console still works. I think.

As far as the whole UK/US divide goes: I get the point, but that doesn't mean they couldn't have released some of the games that were only available in the US before. Some of us had our console modded to be able to play imports, and even a lot who didn't surely dreamed of what they could have played had they lived somewhere else.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Needs more Capcom support, the lack of a Mega Man game here is disappointing and while Puzzle Fighter was cool, I would have preferred Pocket Fighter or Street Fighter Alpha 3, especially because with the latter, the PS1 version had great additions to the roster and gameplay modes (like World Tour) that the recent Anniversary Collection doesn't have due to being the CPS-2 Arcade version.

There are a few surprises here like Persona 1 (lol), Grand Theft Auto 1 (why?), Syphon Filter 1, Metal Gear Solid (really Konami?), Tekken 3 (which never got a PSN port last gen) and Resident Evil 1: Director's Cut and in RE1's case, it's probably a good thing the fraud composer was only involved with the DualShock version because this way Capcom could approve the original Director's Cut being used here for any re-releases going forward but with that said, they should have went with Resident Evil 2 because that was the better game, also had a pre-DualShock release and could have been a good way to cash in on the remake that's coming out in January.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3