• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My Neighbor Totoro is 1st Ghibli Film to Get Theatrical Release in China

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatSword

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Could all the Ghibli movies make it over to China? I fear they'd want to edit Princess Mononoke for violence, which would go against Ghibli's "no cuts" policy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This year, the film is celebrating the 30th anniversary of its release in Japan in 1998.

Think that should be 1988 if it's the 30th anniversary. I just had my 30th birthday so wow this movie is as old as I am now!
Brutannica

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
Quote:
This year, the film is celebrating the 30th anniversary of its release in Japan in 1998.

Think that should be 1988 if it's the 30th anniversary. I just had my 30th birthday so wow this movie is as old as I am now!

It's always been as old as you are.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:14 pm Reply with quote
China got this film really late. It was first released in Hong Kong and Taiwan decades ago.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:23 pm Reply with quote
FLCLGainax wrote:
China got this film really late. It was first released in Hong Kong and Taiwan decades ago.

Ie., the late 80's, when China was still relatively closed off.
(Which is why they were never really crazy about the Star Wars movies either, no matter how desperately we tried to sell them "Last Jedi" and "Solo".)

And now, the irony is, it'll probably be outgrossed by "Transformers: Bumblebee", or Disney's Nutcracker movie. Rolling Eyes
MischievousMelody

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Yuki_Kun45 wrote:
Quote:

In that case, happy birthday!

You’re also right; it’s supposed to be 1988.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:11 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
Could all the Ghibli movies make it over to China? I fear they'd want to edit Princess Mononoke for violence, which would go against Ghibli's "no cuts" policy.

Oh,
it's a good bet they've bootlegged MOST if not all the Ghibli movies already in China -- and I mean the mainland, not Hong Kong!
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:21 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:

Gonna go out on a limb and assume they won't be getting The Wind Rises any time soon.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:35 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
...And now, the irony is, it'll probably be outgrossed by "Transformers: Bumblebee", or Disney's Nutcracker movie. Rolling Eyes

Totoro isn't gross at all. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:50 am Reply with quote
China has missed out on so many classics. Darn communism.[/quote]
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:05 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
CatSword wrote:

Oh,
it's a good bet they've bootlegged MOST if not all the Ghibli movies already in China -- and I mean the mainland, not Hong Kong!

Specially because Chinese animated movies show a lot of Ghibli influence. For example, Chihiro from spirited away even had a cameo appearance in the highest grossing Chinese hand drawn animation from 2015 I think.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:11 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
China has missed out on so many classics. Darn communism.
And up until the last decade or so, it even had a halt on their own animation industry. Before Mao shut down their main animation studio in the '60s, they were producing top-quality output like Monkey King: Uproar in Heaven which are still revered today.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
GeorgeC wrote:

Specially because Chinese animated movies show a lot of Ghibli influence. For example, Chihiro from spirited away even had a cameo appearance in the highest grossing Chinese hand drawn animation from 2015 I think.

Yes, it's good that in kissing up to their market, we're finally teaching China how to actually commercially BUY things in the West--As a society that had been cut off from all contact with it up until the 80's became rather comfortable with a black market that could sneak it in from the neighboring half-Western island.

In a country where personal ownership is discouraged, they're still not quite too clear on the idea that you have to pay somebody if you want a hit movie or licensed property.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:53 am Reply with quote
China has been so restrictive on so many anime titles that a lot of Chinese people might resort to piracy.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:34 am Reply with quote
The new poster for Totoro's Chinese premiere has been revealed on November 27:

Lots of Japanese fans praised the poster in awe.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1