• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top-Selling Media Franchises in Japan: 2018

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saganatsu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
9 | 3,486,988,423 | Slam Dunk

How exactly is the 9th best selling franchise something in which the latest new work came out in 1996? Slam Dunk

Is there new works in this series that ANN doesn't have in the encyclopedia? Or is this something dojinshi driven?
RegSuzaku

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:16 am Reply with quote
The male idol niche is overstretched - Idolm@ster is propelled to #1 because its girls' side is really the only competitor to Love Live, but for the rest of male idol series, we just have I7 and EnStars towards the bottom. Not that that's a bad thing - it gives us variety, and the market sustains it. I feel like if the list were extended to 50 or 70, we'd have a few more boys (or mostly boys) series trailing.

I'm interested to know where in 31-70 UtaPri and A3 would fall, since they really seem to act like they expect to sell a lot. I see far more pop-up stores and collabs of A3 and UtaPri around Tokyo than any other series, but I wonder if a lot of that is going unsold... then again, this is just for media. I guess most of those franchises' sales are mobage gacha coins and merchandise, probably.

Which is also probably true of a lot of things. I wonder what the totals would be if game revenue were added to Love Live, Im@s, and Fate.

Actually. The "Other" column is completely unused, but a lot of these franchises have games (not to mention live events (plays and concerts) and licensing/merchandise). It makes me wonder how indicative this list really is... that's a pretty big proverbial grain of salt...

Quote:
How exactly is the 9th best selling franchise something in which the latest new work came out in 1996? Slam Dunk

Is there new works in this series that ANN doesn't have in the encyclopedia? Or is this something dojinshi driven?

People buying new copies of the manga volumes. People who gave away, or sold, their old copies years ago, wanting to read it again. Young teenagers who weren't around when it first came out buying it, or parents/teachers/ basketball coaches buying it for them.

Slam Dunk is mainstream.

Doujinshi wouldn't be counted in this, since they're fan works. And Slam Dunk doesn't have a strong doujin scene anyway (you're thinking of Kuroko).

Also, see above caveat about games, live events, and merchandise... it would give an edge to series like that, classics that continue to sell books to the general public, even if they don't make figures, etc.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:04 am Reply with quote
saganatsu wrote:
Quote:
9 | 3,486,988,423 | Slam Dunk

A new edition of the manga started shipping in June, and every volume ranked in the top 10 in its first week of release:

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-06-06/japanese-comic-ranking-may-28-june-3/.132539
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-07-11/japanese-comic-ranking-july-2-8/.134139
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-08-08/japanese-comic-ranking-july-30-august-5/.135249
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-09-05/japanese-comic-ranking-august-27-september-2/.136381
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:11 am Reply with quote
Interesting that Slime's manga adaptation is selling that well over the novel. The other novel powerhouses like Overlord and SAO concentrate their sales on the actual novels instead.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:47 am Reply with quote
#884745 wrote:
Which is also probably true of a lot of things. I wonder what the totals would be if game revenue were added to Love Live, Im@s, and Fate.

Not sure exactly, but incomparably higher. The number they have for the Fate series is a drop in the bucket compared to what FGO brings in.

Grand Order has brought in $2 Billion in revenue since its release in 2015. The sales number in that chart is ~$32 million. So FGO brings in more than 10x every category included in this chart.
dark_bozu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:57 am Reply with quote
#884745 wrote:

Well, it would be A LOT - FGO made 9 billion yen in september. I bet that they earned around 1 billion $ in 2018 alone.
Wtv

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:37 am Reply with quote
"but not games, film tickets, digital downloads, and other forms of media sales."

I understand that these are hard to get, but the list isn't really about the biggest franchise without those. Mobage is the biggest money-making in Japan nowadays, after all.
That would surely put franchises like Granblue Fantasy and Bang Dream in the top. On the other side, the top in all years would look the same, which is kind of uninteresting.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:06 am Reply with quote
So, Idol franchises are King of the Hill.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:28 am Reply with quote
#884745 wrote:
...Idolm@ster is propelled to #1 because its girls' side is really the only competitor to Love Live...

IM@S is a larger and much older and established franchise than LL, so in essence, LL is the only real competitor to IM@S. LL is still by comparison, a rather new kid on the block Smile
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Wtv wrote:
"but not games, film tickets, digital downloads, and other forms of media sales."

I understand that these are hard to get, but the list isn't really about the biggest franchise without those. Mobage is the biggest money-making in Japan nowadays, after all.
That would surely put franchises like Granblue Fantasy and Bang Dream in the top. On the other side, the top in all years would look the same, which is kind of uninteresting.

I think that is the point though. They want a metric for how popular the source material is. Something like mobage where a small portion of the people who play are responsible for the vast majority of earnings isn't a good representation for popularity. Popular mobage also make such a ridiculous, insane amount of money that this list would be nothing but a 'who has a mobage' list. Might as well make a different list to rank those if they could get the exact numbers somehow (and would be amusing to see how badly Fate dumps on the idol pandering games).

Number of manga volumes, LN, or even really discs is much better for that. The one item that really should get factored in would be movie tickets.
dark_bozu

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:01 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
and would be amusing to see how badly Fate dumps on the idol pandering games

I think in that case there would be a very few idol games. They aren't that big in revenue, compared to monsuta, FGO, puzzle and dragons etc.
doomrider7

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:04 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Interesting that Slime's manga adaptation is selling that well over the novel. The other novel powerhouses like Overlord and SAO concentrate their sales on the actual novels instead.

And even THERE it's doing stupid well since when the anime got announced it's sales were at 4.5 million. A few weeks ago they celebrated 7 million in sales. Meaning that in a year or less, it nearly DOUBLED it's initial lifetime sales. That is the kind of selling power you make demonic bargains for.
VACXY

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's strategic, SideM was created in 2015 as well as Love live sunshine, and already had a lot of competition with other male idols , and even had to compete against the other idolmaster series.
So achieve these in three years, it is very admirable.

The strategy of growing your idol franchises instead of finishing them because you want to milk a new title, like LoveLive does, has proven to be very effective.
Wtv

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:22 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:

I think that is the point though. They want a metric for how popular the source material is. Something like mobage where a small portion of the people who play are responsible for the vast majority of earnings isn't a good representation for popularity. Popular mobage also make such a ridiculous, insane amount of money that this list would be nothing but a 'who has a mobage' list. Might as well make a different list to rank those if they could get the exact numbers somehow (and would be amusing to see how badly Fate dumps on the idol pandering games).

Number of manga volumes, LN, or even really discs is much better for that. The one item that really should get factored in would be movie tickets.

I mean, I'm not really disagreeing, but anime is also supported by a small portion of people who buys overpriced discs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1