• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sentai Filmworks Announces English Dub for To Love-Ru Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MesousaGaby

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:09 pm Reply with quote
...They're deliberately dubbing this to prove they're human.

Welp, it worked...

At least early To-Love-Ru is not as crappy?

But seriously, no one wanted this. NO ONE.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Call me a Green monkey's uncle they are actually dubbing this?

haha guess it was worth the wait after all, they are know to redub some of there shows from time to time so i guess it is good for the fans but i still need to say this:

Cough Cough........................ WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO DUB THE FAMILIAR OF ZERO> CMON SENTAI PLEASE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:

haha guess it was worth the wait after all, they are know to redub some of there shows from time to time so i guess it is good for the fans but i still need to say this:

Cough Cough........................ WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO DUB THE FAMILIAR OF ZERO> CMON SENTAI PLEASE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hi, Uncle Green Monkey! The FoZ release here didn't seem to do well in sales from what I know, so dubbing more of it wouldn't be practical. I think announcing a TLR Eng. dub through a word search is a clever marketing strategy.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:24 pm Reply with quote
MesousaGaby wrote:

I did, back when Sentai releasing things sub-only was new and scary to me. Granted, I don't really care now, especially after watching four episodes of To Love-Ru and finding it fairly meh, but I'm glad they finally got around to this after, oh, nine years.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Thespacemaster wrote:

Hi, Uncle Green Monkey! The FoZ release here didn't seem to do well in sales from what I know, so dubbing more of it wouldn't be practical. I think announcing a TLR Eng. dub through a word search is a clever marketing strategy.

The original FoZ s1 dub by Genon before they went under was the one that sold unwell but that dub was horrible to begin with and only s1 was relased back than as a whole season set from 1-4 it had gained a lot of popularity and the re-release set sold quite well.
so im hoping they would a total recast and release a dub version of it later but we will see.

as for TLR getting a dub now..have you not noticed?

They released the first season back in 09 which was over a decade ago. Lincese acquisition contracts tend to last on average 5-10 years. My guess is that it had gotten around the expiration date and they repaid the license fee but this time they got the extra effort to now dub it as it sold well as a sub only release so you can imagine how much ti will sell when it is re-dubbed. not that i dont mind i always liked the original series was never a fan of the sequels it became to loaded with to many characters and change of character focus after that but the first one is an exception.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:32 pm Reply with quote
MesousaGaby wrote:

I wanted one then, I want one now. I am ... NO ONE!

This is more in line of what I had in mind when I said they should start producing dubs for streaming rather than stunts like current season dubcasts. They know full character lists and types which will make for better casting.
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:36 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if it's possible for Eyeshield 21 or Bakuman to get re-dubs... It doesn't have to be Sentai, I'm just curious.
Inverti Herikawa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:59 pm Reply with quote
MesousaGaby wrote:

Get lost. I WANT this. Yes, I want this SO BAD. Particularly because I have very high hopes for Sentai to fix the horrendous Japanese voices of Rito and Ren; they deserve MALE VAs, not female VAs that can't even squeeze out a convincing male teen voice to save their lives.

Rito and Riko should be voiced by different VAs; same goes for Ren and Run.

I am confident that Sentai has learned from their mistake from UQ Holder (keep Brittney Karbowski away from male characters, and we're cool), and they'll definitely cast properly this time, considering there's 60+ EPs to dub. And speaking of Brittney, she should be cast as one of the many female characters in this mega harem series.

I want this dub to be phenomenal, and be the best that it could be, and most importantly, a dub that I could truly enjoy.
Kamijou Touma

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:06 pm Reply with quote
MesousaGaby wrote:
...They're deliberately dubbing this to prove they're human.

Welp, it worked...

At least early To-Love-Ru is not as crappy?

I agree 100% I like Tomatsu Haruka as Lala so no one could replace her. Also the fact that many of the characters in Darkness are voiced by Index/Railgun actors.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:07 pm Reply with quote
I predict the voice-cast will be full of fake names,at least if they get to Darkness(though changing the names there,but the voices remaining the same would make it too obvious...)
Zof

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. I'm assuming this means birth rates are now falling in the US and Europe as well.
BalmungHHQ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Thank goodness. So happy to see this is finally being dubbed.
I'm glad Sentai has taken all of the suggestions for dubbing this to heart. Very Happy
SUPER_METR0lD

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Holy cow, finally! I always knew this was inevitable. And I never understood why a series as popular as this never received a dub in the first place. I'm definitely on board.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Inverti Herikawa wrote:
they deserve MALE VAs, not female VAs that can't even squeeze out a convincing male teen voice to save their lives.

Unless a boy 13+ is very effeminate, in drag, or get turned into girls, I agree that an actual guy (Japanese and English voices) should play the teen guy.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:27 pm Reply with quote
It finally happened. I hope this does well for Sentai, and that they dub the rest and also license and dub the OVA's.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4