• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shinichiro Watanabe, BONES' Original Carole & Tuesday Anime Reveals More Characters

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's an age where most culture is produced by AI, and people are content to be passive consumers.

Ahhh the cringe!
Morry

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:31 pm Reply with quote
I get the feeling this is gonna be a weird one.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Man, this project is going to have some really serious musical talent involved. Even E. Kidd Bogart is involved, and if his discography is any indication, this is going to be nuts!

Still no animated PV yet.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Still wondering if they are going to turn it into yuri. The premise looks like a sci-fi version of NANA, but something I do not see the male love interests of girls.
Felicity dash

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:17 pm Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:
Still wondering if they are going to turn it into yuri. The premise looks like a sci-fi version of NANA, but something I do not see the male love interests of girls.

Or y’know it could be shoujo ai. They both are lesbian relationships, but yuri is more focused on physical relationships meanwhile shoujo ai is focused more on the emotional relationships
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Felicity dash wrote:
#HayamiLover wrote:

Or y’know it could be shoujo ai. They both are lesbian relationships, but yuri is more focused on physical relationships meanwhile shoujo ai is focused more on the emotional relationships

This is a purely western division, but this is not so important. If this is a full-fledged qeer romance - good, if it is a healthy friendship that doesn't speculate on shiping - this is also good. In any case, I’m definitely not against the musical anime that has a plot and isn't built around idols and fanservice.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:52 pm Reply with quote
It's funny because I was just helping a student finding some Watanabe material. I was wondering what he was up to and here it is. And we're getting BONES 2nd to Madhouse in superb animation.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:13 pm Reply with quote
I do not have any complaints about the character designs, but I do find them a bit lacking compared to Watanabes previews titles.

The big question I have is what type of show will this be, a to b story like kids on the Slope and Terror in Resonance or episodic with main story episodes; Bebop, Champloo and Dandy.
Samiamiam

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:23 pm Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:

2 of the 4 male characters they introduced could definately serve as love interests. (Have the right type of character design and age range) Maybe not though- thats the fun of originals. Plus, even if there are male love interests, that doesn't mean it can't be gay! Looking at you Kids on the Slope.
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Samiamiam wrote:

2 of the 4 male characters they introduced could definately serve as love interests. (Have the right type of character design and age range) Maybe not though- thats the fun of originals. Plus, even if there are male love interests, that doesn't mean it can't be gay! Looking at you Kids on the Slope.

Honestly, as a heterosexual guy, I never understood why Sakamichi no Apollon (if you're talking about this show) is considered such a gay-ish. There is not even a romantic friendship. However, having a wealth of experience with a heterosexual girls anime that looks more lesbian than some yuri, it seems that I understood your point.
jdnation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Felicity dash wrote:
#HayamiLover wrote:

Or it could just be about two girls who are friends/rivals focused on their love of music and the show has next to no interest in exploring any romance as a focal point. I don't know where or why anyone's jumped on the yuri bandwagon for this all of a sudden... I have absolutely no idea about the story either, but, there's like literally nothing at all to go on so far.

I'm interested in this purely because Watanabe can make a good show revolving around music and style. From Kids on the Slope to Samurai Champloo to Bebop. I'm looking forward to a good soundtrack and style.

And I concur that there's absolutely nothing gay about Kids on the Slope except in the heads of fujoshis. This is like Lord of the Rings Sam and Frodo type delusion. Classics are filled with close friendships between men, and there's not even anything that can be constituted as subtle homo-eroticism in its direction either.

For anyone who wants their actual fill of that, there's Yuri on Ice, which isn't even trying to be subtle.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:24 am Reply with quote
I want this to be good so badly! I'm here for a Watanabe anime with music (even without Yoko Kanno's involvement. If she *were* involved this would be that much cooler!)

Also wondering if this is a Cowboy Bebop prequel. Will Carole be Spike's mom? Razz (Unlikely, but I would bet there'll be some connection!)
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:50 am Reply with quote
@ #HayamiLover, stop derailing threads with your soapboxing. Consider this a warning.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:08 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I want this to be good so badly! I'm here for a Watanabe anime with music (even without Yoko Kanno's involvement. If she *were* involved this would be that much cooler!)

Also wondering if this is a Cowboy Bebop prequel. Will Carole be Spike's mom? Razz (Unlikely, but I would bet there'll be some connection!)

Lol, that would be ... unusual at least. But I also wonder what the soundtrack will look like on this show, since I am not familiar with any of the musicians that have been announced.
eekin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:27 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Quote:
It's an age where most culture is produced by AI, and people are content to be passive consumers.

Ahhh the cringe!

Sci-fi has always been about looking at society and seeing where positive and negative extremes of technology will take us. There are plenty of stories about youtube, facebook, etc. using algorithms to decide what's on our "feed" or "recommended" list. "Surfing the net" isn't so much a thing anymore. People don't seek content as a whole, people go to social media sites to see "what's happening", but those same sites use algorithms to say "what's happening". It's not to farfetched to see that idea be extended to content creation. "We've already designed the algorithms that show what people like, so let's just have algorithms(A.I.) make what they like as well." It's a hyperbolic take on humanity, but again that's what sci-fi has always been.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2