• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Maaya Sakamoto Joins Cast of Fruits Basket Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SaneSavantElla

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:40 am Reply with quote
Granted, the manga has concluded long ago, but announcing the VA for Akito is quite the spoiler for non-readers.
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:42 am Reply with quote
Oh man, that is an awesome cast for Akito right there. Maaya will be fantastic.
Ashabel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:49 am Reply with quote
SaneSavantElla wrote:
Granted, the manga has concluded long ago, but announcing the VA for Akito is quite the spoiler for non-readers.

No it isn't. Sakamoto has an enormous array of both male and female roles, as well as a bundle of genderfluid ones. If anything, her casting provides obfuscates the character's gender completely.
Zeino

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:57 am Reply with quote
Sakamoto can do boyish androgyny all right but she'll need to sound fairly deep here in order to preserve the surprise reveal about Akito for new viewers.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:45 am Reply with quote
Considering what is revealed about Akito in later chapters of Fruits Basket, Maaya Sakamoto's actually a pretty good fit to voice the Sohma head.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Northlander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:46 am Reply with quote
Ashabel wrote:
SaneSavantElla wrote:

No it isn't. Sakamoto has an enormous array of both male and female roles, as well as a bundle of genderfluid ones. If anything, her casting provides obfuscates the character's gender completely.

And to think people pitched a fit because Yuki didn't have a female voice actor in the English dub once upon a time. Laughing
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Maaya Sakamoto is such a legend in anime voice acting. This casting really underscores how important this reboot is with how many beloved voice actors are involved.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, this is pretty great casting, and I'm loving the designs so far - can't wait to actually see them in motion.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:00 pm Reply with quote
I would have prefered Saiga Mitsuki.
SaneSavantElla

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Ashabel wrote:
SaneSavantElla wrote:

That's good news then. Still this could be a knee-jerk reaction from most people who don't know the range of Sakamoto's roles (Ciel is the only male character I know she voiced, and he's pre-pubescent).
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:09 pm Reply with quote
I am so glad she is going to be in the fruits basket anime! I adore her so much and it's been a while since I've seen in main cast roles..... Or maybe I am watching the wrong anime for her new roles.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
Sakamoto can do boyish androgyny all right but she'll need to sound fairly deep here in order to preserve the surprise reveal about Akito for new viewers.

Yeah, that's one type of role I notice people keep trying to force her into like with Lightning in FFXIII or Kusanagi in Ghost in the Shell: Arise and...she's not very good at them. Like producers keep trying to turn her into the new Atsuko Tanaka (yes, I know she played a young Kusanagi in the first movie, that's not the point)

However, those projects also just weren't very well-written so I don't know if it was miscasting/stunt casting and finally discovering a role that even a chameleon like Sakamoto isn't good at or the scripts being such hot garbage that even a great actress like her couldn't save them. Anyway, I'll definitely keep an eye on it
HolsteinCrab

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Personally I was hoping for Romi Paku because I feel she'd have been able to deliver the underlying visciousness and bubbling madness of Akito. Sakamoto I have every faith will deliver the requisite cold beauty aspect but it remains to be seen if she'll pull off the ferocity and instability that helps make Akito so fascinating.

Quote:
Yeah, that's one type of role I notice people keep trying to force her into like with Lightning in FFXIII or Kusanagi in Ghost in the Shell: Arise and...she's not very good at them. Like producers keep trying to turn her into the new Atsuko Tanaka (yes, I know she played a young Kusanagi in the first movie, that's not the point)

However, those projects also just weren't very well-written so I don't know if it was miscasting/stunt casting and finally discovering a role that even a chameleon like Sakamoto isn't good at or the scripts being such hot garbage that even a great actress like her couldn't save them.

Yeah, Sakamoto has unfortunately been shoehorned into quite a few roles that didn't play to her strengths over the years. Her vocal range is excellent but sometimes she lacks the emotional nuance to back it up. She's great in cheery or energetic roles such as Aerith in FF and I quite enjoyed her robotic acting as Aigis in P3 but work that requires her to use a lower or more mature voice tends to not be quite as successful.

Even so, she's practically seiyuu royalty now so hopefully this means that a lot of effort is being put into this new anime Very Happy (And if not at least there should be a few performances to enjoy)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1