• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2nd Fate/stay night Heaven's Feel Film's U.S. Screenings Earn US$420,595

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kicksville

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:34 am Reply with quote
Seems it did a lot better than the first one ($193,833). It was in more places this time, if I'm not mistaken...?
Smeagol_17

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:46 am Reply with quote
Animorphimagi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:55 am Reply with quote
Well I can attest that for the first movie I would've had to go 2 hours away to get to the nearest theater with it showing, admittedly I live in the middle of Midwest USA farm lands.
This time the theater was 45min-1hour away so it wasn't too bad, though the screen for the theater was damaged...wasn't too annoying by the halfway point of the movie but it's stuff like that which makes me wonder how much it costs per theater for japanese companies to put their movies in.
Even if it was nationwide it might only make twice as much as they got this time though. Probably not worth it right?
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:55 am Reply with quote
Smeagol_17 wrote:

Well in the U.S. it only played for a single day. That is ticket sales in Japan for a whole month.
Smeagol_17

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:56 am Reply with quote
MoonPhase1 wrote:
Smeagol_17 wrote:

Well in the U.S. it only played for a single day. That is ticket sales in Japan for a whole month.

I meant, the article is wrong. They cite outdated figures.
Levonr

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:01 am Reply with quote
For such a limited release in the US $420,595 seems pretty good.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:19 am Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
Seems it did a lot better than the first one ($193,833). It was in more places this time, if I'm not mistaken...?

Yep, looks like around 515 theaters for Lost Butterfly over the 245 for Presage Flower. I know I at least had a couple extra theaters to choose from this time around.
Shinji Paradox

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:37 am Reply with quote
In the New York we had multiple viewings that night and I thought it was only for one showtime. I was actually a little late for the 7:00 viewing and up watching the 10:10. I hope we get at least a weekend for the Third chapter.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:24 am Reply with quote
I normally drive 1:15(ish) to get to a theater in Manville NJ to see just about anything anime related. This time though I only needed to drive 15 min to a local theater.. which was a nice change of pace.

I would say there was a pretty good turnout, not full but a decent turnout.
WingKing

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:23 am Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:

That's incomplete information, though. Presage Flower had two sets of screenings: sub screenings in Nov/Dec 2017 that Aniplex distributed, and dub screenings in June 2018 that Fathom distributed. Box Office Mojo only has the revenue data from the dub screenings. My guess is that the sub screenings were four-walled, so the revenue didn't have to be reported.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:55 am Reply with quote
This is probably not the greatest place to ask this, but why the heck not:

I've never seen any of the Fate franchise, but I am interested in taking the plunge. Can anyone provide or point me to a rundown of how the various Fate anime titles are related? Is there an optimal order to watch them in?
TearfulFriend18

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:16 am Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:

I've never seen any of the Fate franchise, but I am interested in taking the plunge. Can anyone provide or point me to a rundown of how the various Fate anime titles are related? Is there an optimal order to watch them in?

If you want to stick strictly to anime, I would recommend Fate/stay night (the 2006 anime from Studio DEEN), then Fate/Zero, then Fate/stay night [Unlimited Blade Works] (the 2014 anime, not the 2010 film), and finally finish things off with the Fate/stay night [Heaven’s Feel] trilogy.

There’s a lot of people who will tell you to skip the 2006 show since it does look rather dated and it doesn’t adapt the first route 100% correctly, but this is the best starting point for anime-only’s, if you like it, then it’ll only get better from here. If you don’t, well at least you know the story and there’s a good chance you’ll like what’s to come.

If you have any desire to play the original source material I implore you to do so, but if you want to stick to anime, that’s my recommendation. I’m sure you’ll get many other variations, but that’s mine. Also to note is that list is of the main Fate series, everything else like Apocrypha, Grand Order, Extra: Last Encore, those are all AU’s and spin-offs.

If you want, here’s a video that I think can be helpful: https://youtu.be/nhzytLBhmhU

I hope this helps you out.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:22 am Reply with quote
$420,000 in 515 theatres works out to about $800/theatre --- at $12/ticket, that's about 70 viewers per theatre, which, with today's smallish theatres, probably means a lot of sell-out crowds.

I know the theatre I went to added a second showing for the subbed version.

The movie was great, and more or less made me understand the Type-Moon hype in ways that none of the preceding works had managed to do.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:15 am Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:

If you like Greek tragedies: FSN: UBW (anime, not movie) --> Fate/Zero --> Heaven's Feel movies --> Various Spinoffs (Fate/Apocrypha, Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya, Fate/Extra: Last Encore, etc.)

If you like spoilers: Zero --> UBW --> HF --> Spinoffs

But ideally you'd start with the VN to get the full meal deal of Fate/Stay Night. Skip the DEEN FSN, as it's only saving grace is its soundtrack.
Naruto Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:11 pm Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:

I'd never seen anything Fate related either, and I decided to go see this movie because the trailer looked good. I thoroughly enjoyed it; possibly the best anime movie I've ever seen!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3