• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yen Press Adds The Witch's Printing Office, Overlord: Undead King Oh!, Kemono Friends a la Car

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MetalGarurumon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Those LN licenses are underwhelming. They are really scraping the bottom of the barrel with the medieval fantasy themed LNs.

Meanwhile, novels such as Bokutachi no Remake, Seishun Buta Yarou, Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry or Highschool DxD remain unlicensed...
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:43 pm Reply with quote
MetalGarurumon wrote:
Those LN licenses are underwhelming. They are really scraping the bottom of the barrel with the medieval fantasy themed LNs.

Meanwhile, novels such as Bokutachi no Remake, Seishun Buta Yarou, Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry or Highschool DxD remain unlicensed...

You hit the nail on the head. I'm also waiting for the manga of The World God Only Knows and the light novels of Baka and Test and Is This a Zombie, but sure let's license a ton of isekai/fantasy stuff instead......

Like, I don't automatically hate the genre, good ones do exist (Re:Zero, NGNL, Konosuba, etc.) but god there's too many.
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:52 pm Reply with quote
I thought they were getting the manga version of those isekais, but they're only NLs. :/
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:56 pm Reply with quote
I think The Witch's Printing Office sounds like it could be a unique twist on the genre and I'll have to keep an eye out on it.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:56 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
You hit the nail on the head. I'm also waiting for the manga of The World God Only Knows and the light novels of Baka and Test and Is This a Zombie, but sure let's license a ton of isekai/fantasy stuff instead......

I'm a huge The World God Only Knows fan myself, but I'm not sure Yen Press thinks a fanservice-light 00s-era harem comedy is going to sell well enough to justify committing to a run of twenty-six volumes.
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to the "Suppose a Kid..." one. Pretty sure that's on the Grand RPG Cliche List, asking why people from teh first town down't hire people from the last town for guards.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Dark Absol wrote:
I thought they were getting the manga version of those isekais, but they're only NLs. :/

Only!? Light novels are the source material here and manga adaptations thereof more often than not are left uncompleted or have entire sections/arcs left out. If it was the manga versions we got, THEN I'd say 'only'...
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:28 pm Reply with quote
FYI, you’ve picked out the manga cover for “World's Strongest Rearguard”. I didn’t even realise it had a manga.

—edit—

Same goes for Tatoeba Last Dungeon now I look again (less obvious because the covers are pretty similar).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Scoot

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Kengan Asura when?
Calico

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:05 am Reply with quote
Yeah, these light novel licenses seem to be really underwhelming. I can only assume that some of them are being picked up because of upcoming/unannounced anime adaptations.

(And if Yen Press wanted to license some good isekai, they could license the Twelve Kingdom novels...)
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:28 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
MetalGarurumon wrote:

I'd love to see a number of those myself. I'd pick up TWGOK in a heartbeat

Calico wrote:
(And if Yen Press wanted to license some good isekai, they could license the Twelve Kingdom novels...)

I've got the tokyopop releases, so it'd be nice if they did this so I can finish it =)
brynhild

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:28 am Reply with quote
Once again disappointed by their novel announcements. I'm too burnt out on all these isekai, and wish they could do some risky licenses more often like SaeKano. That's all I really want.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:29 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
MetalGarurumon wrote:

Ah, people after my own heart.

I've always wondered most on TWGOK. It's a series that I think would do alright getting the omnibus treatment. 2-in-1s or 3-in-1s is how I'd picture things going, and it's a series that people still remember. I'll continue to suggest it for Seven Seas' reader surveys. Laughing

Out of YPs new series, the only one that kinda interests me is Suppose a Kid,
Robiii

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:47 am Reply with quote
I’d rather have them license something that was popular before, like Sakurasou Pet no Kanojo, or Chuunibyou. I guess thats too much to ask.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:58 am Reply with quote
I have been walking around the bookstores here in Hiroshima today, and there is just so much stuff LN and Manga out there. The covers are what draw me in. I saw the Witches Printing Office today in the store, so surprised to see it mentioned here today.

Picked up the first volume of Ojisan in Another World, so I am kinda hoping it gets picked up in the near future.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2