• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gonzo Reports 597 Million Yen Loss as of December

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:04 am Reply with quote
The loss for the year is bad enough, but that insolvency of over $30 million is troubling.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Not surprised at all. What was their last big series? ACCA?
64BitRatchet

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:55 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Not surprised at all. What was their last big series? ACCA?
ACCA is Madhouse.
partially

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Hard to know what this exactly means. In 2017 they only made two series, both 1 cour. In 2018 they had three 2 cour series (although Tiramisu has short episodes) and one 1 cour. So massively increased episode production count.

Not only is that going balloon the budget. But a lot of sales won't have appeared yet for the company as two of the series were ongoing as the report came out.

Compare that to the 2017 report. The two series from that year were already made and had 6 months of sales time when the financial report came around. So they basically got to report purely on sales and not the production overheads of making those two series.

Whether eventual sales of Hinomaru Sumo and Conception were enough to put the books in the black would be interesting to know.
Chazer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Even though they went bankrupt once, they have not yet figured out how to make a business of the studio.

They need to choose better projects. Animated the likes of Conception are not going to make them a household name. It is amazing that their last hit was Rosario + Vampire... how many years does that make in terms of a drought?
stevek504

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:02 am Reply with quote
I like many of the things they have done. But I don't recognize anything they have done recently that they are listed as "Animation Production" or "Production" or even "Original Creator". Instead it is work like "In-Between Animation" and "Photography" - which must not pay much.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Gonzo shows used to be quite popular with American audiences, that does not seem to be the case any more. Was Afro Samurai the last project that anyone cared about, I know the sequel to Last Exile didn't get much notice. I would love to know what it is that is not working for them, it can't be quality because they've always had average titles.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:53 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Gonzo shows used to be quite popular with American audiences, that does not seem to be the case any more. Was Afro Samurai the last project that anyone cared about, I know the sequel to Last Exile didn't get much notice. I would love to know what it is that is not working for them, it can't be quality because they've always had average titles.

Back in the early 2000s they made many important titles. Welcome to the N.H.K., Saikano, Gantz, Gankutsuou and Last Exile are pretty much classics now. They are also the studio which made Strike Witches, their output from 2001 to 2008 was very respectable: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gonzo_(company), now they are kinda like a zombie company.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1