• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Attack on Titan Season 3 Part 2 Anime's Sub Delayed to Wednesdays Worldwide

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ethe

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 4:08 pm Reply with quote
So basically leaks ruined everything once again.

On the other hand, while I can understand the reason why they are delaying the sub release, it's still not the smartest move on their part. People will just resort to fansubs instead of waiting for the official release. And people are already blaming Funimation even though they didn't make the decision.

This is just sad.

Last edited by Ethe on Thu May 23, 2019 4:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Every Sunday I've been watching the show with my best friend on Crunchyroll. Now because some incompetent sub-licensee somewhere in the world has ruined it for all of us, we have to wait 3 days after it airs in Japan every week... This really sucks. I'm not going to blame Funimation/Crunchyroll, as they're clearly not to blame, nor was this their decision, but I have a feeling the uninformed crowd will be out to crucify them this coming Sunday...
SheRrIs

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Names, please! Which sublicensees?
FlyGuySempai

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 4:39 pm Reply with quote
My god, damn there is always problems with Attack on Titan.
Weird Guy

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 5:03 pm Reply with quote
This is sad... I'm gonna play despacito...
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Once again. Loyal fans are being punished for something they didn't do. This ain't right.
GuruBuckaroo

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:
Once again. Loyal fans are being punished for something they didn't do. This ain't right.

Seriously? If the licensor didn't take this action, the "local fans" in Japan would be punished for something they didn't do - because they wouldn't be the ones to see it first, when they're primarily the ones paying for it. Shut your privileged ass up and be glad you didn't have to trade VHS tapes of this stuff like I did when I was a kid.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Ethe wrote:
So basically leaks ruined everything once again.

On the other hand, while I can understand the reason why they are delaying the sub release, it's still not the smartest move on their part. People will just resort to fansubs instead of waiting for the official release. .

People will resort to fansubs regardless.
7PhoenixAshes

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 6:32 pm Reply with quote
GuruBuckaroo wrote:
Romuska wrote:

Seriously? If the licensor didn't take this action, the "local fans" in Japan would be punished for something they didn't do - because they wouldn't be the ones to see it first, when they're primarily the ones paying for it. Shut your privileged ass up and be glad you didn't have to trade VHS tapes of this stuff like I did when I was a kid.

We legal streamers are paying for the right to watch the show, too. Why are we considered to be less valid customers than the fans in Japan? They should punish the leaking licensor (with fines or whatever), not the fans.

And I am very sorry you had to travel uphill both ways in the snow to share your pirated tapes, but that has no relevance now. The companies and licensors are able to sucessfully sell their products because they could offer legitimacy and speed that the fansubs could not. That is their business model. That is what they are selling to us, their paying customers. And we paying customers are therefore fully justified at being upset when the Japanese companies arbitrarily decide to change their product for the worse.
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, this is just petty. It's in-keeping with how Japanese companies usually react when it comes to the use of copyrighted material out of their control, but it's still petty.

Just saying not surprised, but still angry.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Wouldn't the better solution have been to delay the subs for the sublicensees that were leaking the episode early? I am sure that the videos are watermarked so Funimation knows exactly which companies were leaking the episodes. Of course it would only make a difference if Funimation had something in their licensing contracts about leaking episodes and it is possible they overlooked that possibility.

Sherris wrote:

Since Funimation wasn't willing to name them in the press release they probably aren't going to release that information.
Friki del Mal

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Sherris wrote:

Selecta Visión in Spain and STARZ Play in the Middle East. Also, Funimation hold the rights to the Americas (North, Central and South America), Europe and, presumably, the Middle East.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Ethe wrote:
People will just resort to fansubs instead of waiting for the official release.

With the current state of fansubs I'll be surprised if any reputable one is released before Funimation does.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Friki del Mal wrote:
Selecta Visión in Spain and STARZ Play in the Middle East. Also, Funimation hold the rights to the Americas (North, Central and South America), Europe and, presumably, the Middle East.

I think Funimation only owns the regions that they are streaming in, plus maybe the additional Nordic countries as shown when they share with Crunchyroll. So I don't think Funimation has anything to do with Latin American or Middle Eastern licencors.
Friki del Mal

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 8:37 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
Friki del Mal wrote:

I think Funimation only owns the regions that they are streaming in, plus maybe the additional Nordic countries as shown when they share with Crunchyroll. So I don't think Funimation has anything to do with Latin American or Middle Eastern licencors.

Of course they do. The CR page states that Funimation holds the distribution rights and Funi sublicensed to other countries in Europe (Spain and Italy confirmed). Don't know if Funi has Middle East.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3