• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Charapedia: Here's the Tastiest Foodie Anime and Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:09 pm Reply with quote
The article wrote:
digging up fermented birds inside a seal carcass.

Kinda sad that Moyashimon wasn't mentioned after that comment (sad Lactobacillus). But to be fair, it's not so much about cooking as it is about microbiology.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Dammit someone PLEASE license the late great Jiro Taniguchi's "Koduku no Gourmet" manga. I would buy that in a trice.

Also, someone please pick up the Wakakozake live action series 3 and 4 given that Crunchyroll seem to have given up on the whole drama thing. The first two seasons were marvellous and score over both manga and anime in that you get to see the real food - and boy howdy I may not know what it is but it sure looks delicious!
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Excuse me, police? Yes, I'd like to report a crime. There was a vote for the top cooking anime and manga and Delicious in Dungeon didn't even make the top twenty. Whoever is responsible needs to be arrested.

What do you mean that's not actually against the law?
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:28 pm Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
Excuse me, police? Yes, I'd like to report a crime. There was a vote for the top cooking anime and manga and Delicious in Dungeon didn't even make the top twenty. Whoever is responsible needs to be arrested.

What do you mean that's not actually against the law?

TBH..i thought the same thing about Ben-to
Gray Lensman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:30 am Reply with quote
Delicious in Dungeon likely isn't large enough in the popular imagination (at least in the West) since it doesn't have an anime yet.

And Ben-to may have food theme, but there isn't anything about cooking in it, so I can't imagine many people thinking about it for such a list.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:38 am Reply with quote
Gray Lensman wrote:
Delicious in Dungeon likely isn't large enough in the popular imagination (at least in the West) since it doesn't have an anime yet.

And Ben-to may have food theme, but there isn't anything about cooking in it, so I can't imagine many people thinking about it for such a list.

Charapedia is a Japanese site and there's quite a few series on that list without anime. Delicious in Dungeon does well on the Oricon charts and has garnered critical acclaim.

Considering all that, I don't know WHY it's not on this list. The only possible explanation is foul play!
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:28 am Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
Considering all that, I don't know WHY it's not on this list. The only possible explanation is foul play!

I am wondering the same thing about Golden Kamuy, to be honest. Why is Silver Spoon on there, but not Golden Kamuy?! The latter series consistently has more "traditional" food manga elements, like step-by-step cooking scenes and overly detailed panels of specific dishes. Yes, Silver Spoon is about where food comes from (and horseback riding), but it's hardly the first thing I think of when it comes to "foodie manga".

There's the possibility that it wasn't considered (or ranked lower than the top 20) because food isn't the main focus of the plot, but I often get hungry while reading it, even when the dishes are disgusting, so that makes it a food manga in my book Razz

The Drops of God is a favorite of mine that's missing as well, but that's technically a manga about drinks, so I can see why it wouldn't really fit.
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Gray Lensman wrote:

if thats true, not sure how dagashi kashi made the list, i admit i only saw the anime, but i dont remember much cooking in it.
Gray Lensman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Siegfriedl88 wrote:
Gray Lensman wrote:

if thats true, not sure how dagashi kashi made the list, i admit i only saw the anime, but i dont remember much cooking in it.

True, but Ben-to seems much more about the fights than anything else, the food is just the MacGuffin that people are fighting over. It was a hysterical show, but the food really comes across as a secondary thing at best in it. Dagashi Kashi (at least in season one) puts the food front and center even when there is only one episode that has actual cooking in it. I actually tried some new things after seeing them in the show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1