• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kyoto Animation Colorist Naomi Ishida Passed Away in Studio Fire

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amethyst Alchemist
Former ANN Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:58 pm Reply with quote
I am one of the editors who worked on this article, and I posted it on the site. Please note the following request from our news team:

Please keep this thread focused on the passing of Naomi Ishida. If you have any comments about ANN choosing to publish this article, please post it in our Feedback forum.

Thank you.
joeydoa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:28 pm Reply with quote
This is so heartbreaking - I've always admired the work of color designers - from the days that I read marvel comics to the present watching anime. Haruhi, Hyouka, and A Silent Voice are three of my favorite anime works and the color design is part of the reason why I'm drawn to them. So sad for the parents, losing their daughter. That is indescribably painful.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:45 pm Reply with quote
She had one of the most unique pair of "Eyes". She knew how to use color to tell stories like few others could. Losing her is a massive loss to the anime industry, but also to "Art" as a whole. To me, she added magic to the things she worked on. I wish I could thank her for everything she has given us. Due to health issues, I can't leave the house very often. But when I saw her name, Naoko Yamada, and a few othere names on Liiz and the Blue Bird's staff list, I struggled through pain to see the movie IMO it was one of the best films ever made.I hope she knew how appreciated her work was around the world. May she rest in peace.
Kistune_bride

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:17 pm Reply with quote
It was going to be painful no matter who's name surfaced but....damn I loved her work without knowing.

Nothing but respect for Naomi Ishida. The use of color in Hyouka for me always managed to capture the mood perfectly. Whether it was the pinks during romantic or uplifting scenes btwn Oreki and Chitanda or the vivid greens and coolness of the main four characters walking past trees, her work was masterful.

Thank you and rest in peace. Crying or Very sad
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Her work is phenomenal and she'll be fondly remembered. I hope she rests in peace.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Ishida's parents told the newspaper that they believed she normally worked at Kyoto Animation's 2nd Studio building. Therefore, they initially said Ishida was safe when friends and relatives asked about her well-being. However, Ishida's parents were unable to reach her on her cell phone.

From what I understand from other reports, several major KyoAni staff members who would usually have been at the other studio building were at the 1st studio building that tragic day for an NHK interview (which was also the reason why the main entrance that would usually have only been openable with a keycard was unlocked).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:10 pm Reply with quote
The one that everyone didn't knew they were talking about (after Katachi and Liz)...

I read somewhere that the medical fees for the survivors may cost 7 BILLION yens. This is a LOT of money. They really need to pay for themselves in a case like this?
rtil

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Like all who perished in the fire, she is irreplaceable. But what she left behind will forever immortalize her, to be cherished by viewers for all time. May she rest in peace.
Demonskid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:40 pm Reply with quote
I don't pay much attention to who directs what and who draws what. Who was in charge of this or that... I don't pay much attention to much of anything, I just enjoy the show.

Finding out that Ms. Ishida had worked on some of my favorite series... It hurts. It really does. It's not right that she and the others have been taken from us so soon and in such a horrific way at that. It's not right... Her work was beautiful.

I don't look forward to the other 33 names.. I know I will end up in a ball of tears when that list of names are released.

My heart goes out to the Ishida family. And also to the other victims and their loved ones.
JMulli

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:38 pm Reply with quote
We've lost so many talented people because of this. I can't imagine what everyone's going through at the moment.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:18 pm Reply with quote
JMulli wrote:
We've lost so many talented people because of this. I can't imagine what everyone's going through at the moment.

spoiler[i dont agree with ANN publishing these articles tho and i don't care to leave anything in feedback since there's no doubt it will be ignored]

We've lost some of the most talented artists in the entire world, quite honestly. I can't imagine what the atmosphere must be like at the other studios.

spoiler[ The family released this information so I have no idea why anyone would be against it being reported here. If they reported it, they likely wanted it to be known. Maybe they understand that fans of her work will want to pay respects to her. Also, the deaths of "big name" people like her will be impossible to hide when they don't show up in credits in the future...]
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:36 pm Reply with quote
My heart keeps breaking, over and over again, for every life lost or scarred by this. To lose someone with such passion and love for her work, I have no words.

My deepest condolences to her family and friends. I hope there is some way to honor the victims of this tragedy in the future.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Just was told another name this morning. So shocked.

But, there is no putting a value on a life. All of those who died in/because of the blaze were precious. And we can't get them back.

We've lost some very very influential individuals in anime history. It's absolutely heartbreaking.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:09 am Reply with quote
Colour design is an aspect of production that doesn't get much attention from the fandom compared to key animation, character designs, etc, but someone who's good at it can make the art truly great. Ishida was very, very good at it. Her death is a great loss.
12Zwolf12

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:39 am Reply with quote
This is so hard I can't even imagine how it is for the people close to the people who left this world.
Right now I'm thinking we need 1 article for every single person that died to honor their work, but on the other hand it might be a bit too much to handle.
I really, really hope that the remaining staff gets at least a little bit of an idea that they are not alone and millions in japan and around the world share a part of their pain.
They are certainly not alone and if they told us something they needed I'm sure we would jump to fulfill their wishes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2