• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Daisuke Moriyama's Mourning Bride Manga Cancelled

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Яeverse

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:05 pm Reply with quote
reestablish trust, did the writer like try to go to a different magazine or editors or something had a falling out with them? wow.
Vent

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Yeah that's an intensely suspicious phrasing.
Rogueywon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The story centers on the four brothers of the Corsarino mafia family

Guess somebody made them an offer they couldn't refuse...
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
reestablish trust, did the writer like try to go to a different magazine or editors or something had a falling out with them? wow.

The Japanese is more clear than the English article here; it was the editorial department that lost trust, not the author.
nDroae

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It also noted that although the editorial department had discussions with the author and other staff members, they could reestablish a relationship of trust.

-> "they could not reestablish a relationship of trust."

Sometimes the human brain's autocorrect can be its own undoing Smile

Edit: Article has been fixed.

Last edited by nDroae on Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:52 pm Reply with quote
When you find out about a cool manga from an article reporting it’s been cancelled.

Wow, this is a... situation. Hope things work out for both parties.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Blown. I found the first 2 chapters really interesting.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:32 pm Reply with quote
This is saddening for sure. I haven't read a new Moriyama title in years and I keep hoping to find another that I enjoy as much as Chrono Crusade. I doubt we'll ever get the full story as to why this latest manga was axed.
theNightster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:02 am Reply with quote
Ouch that’s not fun to hear, even though I haven’t read this series I do really like Moriyama's other works (Chrono Crusade and World Embryo) so I really hope this doesn’t hurt his career
nargun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:41 am Reply with quote
Five hundred yen sez sexual harrassment. Or he punched someone.

(it's not an artistic problem, that'd lead to the story being cut short but the vol release would go forward. And plagarism would lead to the current volumes getting yanked. "We won't work with you for a second longer" means malfesance such as poses some flavour of risk or threat.... and the way manga drawing works that threat has to be physical, not financial. The mannered vagueness and mention of "trust" inclines me to sexual harassment, but not 100%)
theNightster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:40 am Reply with quote
nargun wrote:

(it's not an artistic problem, that'd lead to the story being cut short but the vol release would go forward. And plagarism would lead to the current volumes getting yanked. "We won't work with you for a second longer" means malfesance such as poses some flavour of risk or threat.... and the way manga drawing works that threat has to be physical, not financial. The mannered vagueness and mention of "trust" inclines me to sexual harassment, but not 100%)

Sexual harassment would have been reported and for all we know the editorial staff could be a bunch of not-so-nice-people giving Moriyama shit during this manga’s publication, I don’t know this for sure but any of that is possible
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:22 am Reply with quote
nargun wrote:

Something like that would've most likely made the news and, in the case of sexual misconduct, probably not result in such a harsh punishment, as the Watsuki case proved.

That the editors explicitly said it would be "hard to reestablish a relationship of trust" is a very strong condemnation that might even make other publishers reluctant to work with him; normally Japanese corporate customs would dictate that nothing be said at all. Manga getting canceled is a very common occurrence after all. My first thought would be, as others suggested, that he tried to contact another publisher or something else that directly breached the terms of his contract.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1