• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: BEASTARS GNs 1-2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatSword

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
When Legoshi clumsily tries to spend time with her while on an errand for the drama club he's a part of (she's the only member of the gardening club), she assumes that he wants to have sex with her, and brings him to the garden shed, where she strips down.

Well, that's gonna be an interesting scene in the anime. There are people who will quit out right then ("This is for furries!"), as well as people who jump on board just because of it. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:45 am Reply with quote
I wasn't aware of the sexual slang aspect of this story when I saw the anime's preview video, just the murder mystery aspect, but even then it felt like the anime, if not the manga as well, was going for a sort of noir-esque feel. I think the slightly grotesque character designs work well for that, but my enthusiasm for a good murder mystery is slightly dampened by the idea of trying to merge that successfully with a slice-of-life story.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:19 am Reply with quote
Unfortunately the murder mystery takes a major backseat in volume two; it's more about carnivores and herbivores with a murder hook.
Akamaru_Inu
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:42 pm Reply with quote
The art gets much better and way more unique later (and less Uncanny Valley) as she keeps drawing it. Definitely one of my favorite visual styles in any manga I've ever read, say nothing of when we actually get to more world-building and fleshed out characters. I love this series.

It's so surreal and awesome to see Beastars finally getting recognition over here in the west, especially when it's NOT the basic 'wow you guys this manga has anthropomorphic animals and that's the ONLY reason I'm remotely interested in it' crap that I've seen for a while with it.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:22 am Reply with quote
Sounds interesting, although the sexual part sounds more like something I'd expect to see in a Robert Crumb work, mostly one about an infamous cat.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1