• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: KONOSUBA movie - Legend of Crimson

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
micah007

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Can a nonfan or to specify someone who knows about the series but really hasn't watched it enjoy this if you can pass it off as simply being a funny "Defeat the Demon General" movie? Hope that makes sense lol.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:23 pm Reply with quote
@micah007
I would venture to say YES to answer your question. With the obvious caveat being your going to miss alot of inside jokes and internal references.

I'll post again after seeing it this evening.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:26 pm Reply with quote
I could've sworn a review for the Konosuba movie was already uploaded to this site.

Regardless, I do think there should be a mention of the...very unfortunate gag toward the end of the film. It's not a very important element of the story but there's a lot of people who would find it incredibly distasteful.
micah007

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
@micah007
I would venture to say YES to answer your question. With the obvious caveat being your going to miss alot of inside jokes and internal references.

I'll post again after seeing it this evening.

I see. That sounds encouraging. My brother and I don't get many chances to go to anime screenings like this in our area and he thought about going just for the heck of it. Thank you.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, someone coming in fresh will definitely miss some of the jokes and not understand everything, but enough of the humor is straightforward enough that I think it could be appreciated by a newcomer.

ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
Regardless, I do think there should be a mention of the...very unfortunate gag toward the end of the film. It's not a very important element of the story but there's a lot of people who would find it incredibly distasteful.

That's what I was referring to by the "bad taste" comment in the review. I didn't mention it specifically because it's a one-shot joke and reaction that isn't referred to again, so I didn't want to give any impression that it was a significant element.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
− Not enough of Darkness or Aqua

See, that's largely a bonus to me. Darkness's one joke got boring in season 1. Aqua has a lot of great moments but really what keeps this show interesting is Megumin and Kazuma. Rie Takahashi's performance is underrated IMO.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to see it on Monday. ANN didn't report on it getting Canadian screenings but I got lucky and checked my theater listings on a whim.
Rosiero

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Megumin is my least favourite character, so while I love Konosuba and want to support its continued adaptation, I'm super on the fence about this movie.
Blue_Rain_87

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:47 pm Reply with quote
I just saw it in a theater less than an hour ago, and have never seen or read anything else on it, i thought it was excellent.
dragonmastr

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Loved this movie! And Megumin's little sister is well on her way to inheriting the clan's glorious kookiness.
zrdb

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:34 am Reply with quote
I just saw it tonight and thought it was really good-about a 7.75 out of a possible 10. I do wish they had more of Aqua and Darkness but that's just me.
GwennBlackfeather

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:56 am Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:

Would you be able to elaborate on what this gag is? Spoil away, I don't mind.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:54 am Reply with quote
GwennBlackfeather wrote:
Would you be able to elaborate on what this gag is? Spoil away, I don't mind.

spoiler[The enemy general, who had looked all along like a very voluptuous woman and had a specifically female voice, was hitting on Kazuma at one point. While doing so, the general claimed to also have "male parts" (for context, the general was a chimera), which Kazuma freaked out about.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:09 am Reply with quote
So following up on seeing this last night, I enjoyed it.

And YES you can see the movie without knowing the background as there is much humor. However there is also much referenced to earlier events and understanding those events make the movie even better.

Here is to a Season 3.

spoiler[This movie definitely affirms that there is *something* there between Kazuma and Megumin even if that something is quite small.]

As for the offensive joke.. pretty much a nothing burger.. Nothing else to add.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Rosiero wrote:
Megumin is my least favourite character, so while I love Konosuba and want to support its continued adaptation, I'm super on the fence about this movie.

That is the case for me, and while I have not watched this movie, I really liked the spin off about megumin's clan; so I plan to watch this movie.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2