• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nintendo Stops Accepting Repairs for Wii Console in Japan on March 31

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ssgOverlord

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Thankfully with over 100 million Wii consoles out there worldwide, there should be no shortage of cheap used ones if someone needs a replacement. Actually, I would imagine a repair from Nintendo must be much more expensive at this point...The only issue being no way to salvage Virtual Console/WiiWare games I suppose.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:44 am Reply with quote
"Difficulty in sourcing repair parts"? Hmmm......

To me that sounds like someone putting a positive spin on the real truth, which is that Nintendo chose to stop ordering parts from their suppliers. There is zero reason why the parts would be unavailable unless they made a decision to stop having them made.
Puniyo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:47 pm Reply with quote
AkumaChef wrote:
"Difficulty in sourcing repair parts"? Hmmm......

To me that sounds like someone putting a positive spin on the real truth, which is that Nintendo chose to stop ordering parts from their suppliers. There is zero reason why the parts would be unavailable unless they made a decision to stop having them made.

2006 is several lifetimes in the tech industry. Official repairs only use the specific branded parts that the original release used, not aftermarket stuff. Suppliers cease production of old and unpopular parts, and they become increasingly more exclusive and expensive to obtain. There's no crazy conspiracy behind it.
I_Drive_DSM

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I don't think people realize how old the Wii is now in gaming 'years'; 2006 might as well be an eternity ago. It only makes sense it would effectively be 'dead' at this point in regards to official support.

My only possible regret in regards to the Wii being as an adult when the console came along I primarily viewed it as a 'party console' or one I used to entertain. I didn't really play the Wii stand-alone, and thus didn't really divulge into some of the software nor did I take advantage of the Virtual Console whatsoever. Instead it was hours playing Mario Kart and the various 'sports' games.

Weirdly enough I was at a store following the holidays and saw that Dance Dance Revolution 2020 just released for the Wii. I didn't realize companies were still creating Wii-specific console titles. When I looked into it further Ubisoft was willing to release the title due for the demand; families were still playing dance games on their Wii's.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Puniyo wrote:

2006 is several lifetimes in the tech industry. Official repairs only use the specific branded parts that the original release used, not aftermarket stuff. Suppliers cease production of old and unpopular parts, and they become increasingly more exclusive and expensive to obtain. There's no crazy conspiracy behind it.

All the components in a WII board fall into one of two categories:
A) Items which Nintendo had custom-made just for them. This includes items like the PCB itself, all the molded parts for the housing, the controllers, etc, and some of the internal electronic components on the circuit board, custom ICs.
B) Standard off-the-shelf parts, like the simple items on the PCB (zeners, resistors, capacitors, standard ICs, etc.)

The items in category A can simply be re-ordered by Nintendo should they choose to do so.
The items in category B are in stock worldwide at the big electronic component distros (Newark, Allied Electronics, Mouser, Digi-Key, etc.)

What's most likely is that they feel demand isn't high enough to warrant ordering new batches of the parts in category A. They're not lying when they say they're running out of parts. They're just omitting the fact that they could order more but are choosing not to.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1