• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Love Live! Anime's 1st Season Removed from Crunchyroll

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:29 am Reply with quote
The license for Crunchyroll must have expired with the Blu-ray since NIS America no longer owns Season 1’s Blu-ray rights either.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:04 am Reply with quote
I suspect Toradora and Kimi ni Todoke are next. Hopefully they get rescued, along with Katanagatari.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:40 pm Reply with quote
The article tag-line seems a little like click-bait for something as ordinary as a license expiring.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:28 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
I suspect Toradora and Kimi ni Todoke are next. Hopefully they get rescued, along with Katanagatari.

At least it would be nice to know when they expire so someone can watch them before it happens...[/code]
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:45 pm Reply with quote
I assume Funimation will probably rescue license the original Love Live at some point since they have Sunshine and a new anime is in the works.
NiPah
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Even though I fully anticipate this series being picked up by another company and streamed somewhere, I’m just happy I got those Blu-rays when they were released.
TD912

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
The article tag-line seems a little like click-bait for something as ordinary as a license expiring.

Usually Crunchyroll announces these things on their site, but lately they've been getting less and less transparent. Love Live S1 actually was removed from CR a couple days ago and people on Twitter asked about it and were also met with a vague response.

Again, CR is usually pretty proactive about announcing these things but for some reason they're being really quiet about this one to the point of ignoring customer questions about it.

Maybe they know it's a big title to lose and are trying to bury the news about it.
Kaylee Smerbeck

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Archiving is important
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Troll comment and response removed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:14 am Reply with quote
NiPah wrote:
Even though I fully anticipate this series being picked up by another company and streamed somewhere, I’m just happy I got those Blu-rays when they were released.

That's a big reason why I support physical media. Love Live probably will get picked up, but who knows when? Ever since NISA decided to exit the anime licensing business, this was bound to happen
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:06 am Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
LegitPancake wrote:

At least it would be nice to know when they expire so someone can watch them before it happens...
It's possible that some contracts don't allow them to announce expiration dates. We're unlikely to see Katanagatari here again, since it's an Aniplex title. We were fortunate enough to see AnoHana re-released, but other NISA titles like Zakuro and Occult Academy, not so much.
I_Drive_DSM

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:14 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:

I don't know if it's necessarily click-bait-y more so it's just Love Live!'s continued popularity that makes it big news. For a franchise that's now a full decade old following the initial launch in 2010 Love Live! and it's various iterations are still incredibly popular, both in Japan and the western world. You go to Tokyo and you can't walk a block down Akihabara without running into SOMETHING Love Live!, and I can't think of many decade old franchises that are having that staying power.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

It's possible that some contracts don't allow them to announce expiration dates. We're unlikely to see Katanagatari here again, since it's an Aniplex title. We were fortunate enough to see AnoHana re-released, but other NISA titles like Zakuro and Occult Academy, not so much.
What about Natsume's Book of Friends who's first four seasons were released by NIS though I think the recent movie was released by Aniplex?
NiPah
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:55 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Zalis116 wrote:

What about Natsume's Book of Friends who's first four seasons were released by NIS though I think the recent movie was released by Aniplex?

Aniplex is a hard company to read, honestly I’d say how well the movie does for them will be a big determining factor.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1