• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Beast Children, Tokyo Shinobi Squad Manga Each to End in 3rd Volume

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:01 pm Reply with quote
So that means Samurai 8 and Mitama Security are gonna be canceled too?
harminia

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:23 pm Reply with quote
ah yes, the old shounen jump axe is as sharp as ever
JonDoe

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I don't know too much about Beast Children so I won't comment on it but Tokyo Shinobi Squad deserved it's cancelation. I wonder what the hell Shonen Jump was thinking when they allowed a manga that intensely xenophobic to run in their magazine.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:26 pm Reply with quote
I've seen it claimed that Jump has a limit of 11 new series per publication year -- and of course, they try to keep the number of series in the magazine almost constant, starting one after finishing another. This would explain why it took so long for these four rather unpopular manga to be canceled.

The really interesting thing is, not only is the turnover count up to 4 right in the year's first issues, but We Never Learn, The Promised Neverland, and Demon Slayer are all in their endgames. And it's not clear whether Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs is going to last much longer, either -- plus Samurai 8 is underperforming, with numbers that are more Hungry Marie than Edens Zero; and 2019's last additions, Mission: Yozakura Family and Mitama Security, are still in an uncertain state. That's 11 potential conclusions right there.

2020 could be an interesting year for Jump.

(And yes, it is absurd that Double Taisei ran longer than The Last Saiyuki.)

JonDoe wrote:
I don't know too much about Beast Children so I won't comment on it but Tokyo Shinobi Squad deserved it's cancelation. I wonder what the hell Shonen Jump was thinking when they allowed a manga that intensely xenophobic to run in their magazine.

I've heard the xenophobia isn't even invoked after chapter 1! It's just there for no apparent reason.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I think Tokyo Shinobi Squad had the potential to really be great, but it just ended up being bogged down by its weaker aspects. The story was... weird, despite how much I enjoyed the world-building and action scenes.

I wonder if we'll get an anime of Summer Time Rendering.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:49 pm Reply with quote
I feel like a lot of these newer series lack... direction. Some had a VERY slow burn to even start (Last Saiyuki)... Some didn't work as their original genre (comedy), being forced into another (action/horror) for better numbers (Kamio Yui). Others, just didn't really know where they were going (Double Taisei/Tokyo Shinobi). Then there's competition, like another current rugby manga that is going to get an anime, and I guess Beast Children didn't quite cut it.

It's been... an interesting year for these newer series. I hope Mitama at least, lasts long enough for an anime to be made.
harminia

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:16 pm Reply with quote
tbh I foresee Mitama getting the axe. I'm kinda surprised it's gone as long as it has. Even from when it first started it felt like it'd get axed soon. But then, I only read the first 3 or so chapters, maybe it gets more into a groove and hits more comedic notes as it goes along? For me personally it just felt kind of try-hard.

Also all these mentions of last saiyuki makes me sad............I miss that manga.
Kisuke525

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:47 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
tbh I foresee Mitama getting the axe. I'm kinda surprised it's gone as long as it has. Even from when it first started it felt like it'd get axed soon. But then, I only read the first 3 or so chapters, maybe it gets more into a groove and hits more comedic notes as it goes along? For me personally it just felt kind of try-hard.

Also all these mentions of last saiyuki makes me sad............I miss that manga.

I can't speak for everyone but I personally think Mitama has improved since its first 3 chapters. From what I remember its ranking in the magazine has been decent and Shonen Jump is also in need of a Gag manga so I don't think its going to be cancelled anytime soon. Why are you surprised that its still running? Volume 1 of the series hasn't even been released yet lol.
DopeyDragon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Got to agree on thinking Mitama is going to last (at least for now). I'm enjoying it immensely and it's true that Jump is lacking otherwise right now in the gag manga department. Perhaps if another gag manga gets greenlight I can see it getting the axe.
harminia

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Kisuke525 wrote:
Why are you surprised that its still running? Volume 1 of the series hasn't even been released yet lol.

Because what I read was pretty weak (imo) and felt like something that would get pretty low ratings early on, so I figured the axe would have it in its sights already.
But if it's ranking decently and people are enjoying it then good for it!
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Honestly it's still too early for Mitama to say if it's doing well or poorly. Without any sales numbers on the first volume, all we have to go on is that it isn't one of the 5 series at the very back of the magazine (yet). Either way with them cutting 4 series pretty close together I don't think Mitama is at risk of being cancelled this year. I'm more interested to see what new series might get in before new years, now that there's room.

Meanwhile Mission: Yozakura Family seems to at least be doing decently since it's getting a color page next issue.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:24 am Reply with quote
Kisuke525 wrote:
Why are you surprised that its still running? Volume 1 of the series hasn't even been released yet lol.

To be fair, Love Rush, Red Sprite, and ZIGA had all gotten axed by this point.
Kisuke525

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:57 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Kisuke525 wrote:

To be fair, Love Rush, Red Sprite, and ZIGA had all gotten axed by this point.

Series can end quickly like those 3 but its pretty rare.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:34 am Reply with quote
Kisuke525 wrote:
Series can end quickly like those 3 but its pretty rare.

Looking through Wikipedia's list, ZIGA was one of four 2018 Jump manga to end in under 20 weeks, the others being Kimi wo Shinryaku Seyo, Bozebeats, and Momiji no Kisetsu. (I'm just looking at issue numbers, so the chapter counts may not match in cases where Jump skipped a week.)

2017 saw U19, Demon Prince Poro's Diaries, Golem Hearts, and Full Drive.

In 2016, there was the aforementioned Love Rush and Red Sprite, plus Ibitsu no Amalgam, Demon's Plan, and Ole Golazo.

2015? Cyborg Roggy, Ultra Battle Satellite, Lady Justice, Devily Man, and Buddy Strike.

I dunno, I'd say 2019 was an anomaly, with ne0;lation as the shortest-running series. Maybe there's less competition now?
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:29 am Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
I feel like a lot of these newer series lack... direction. Some had a VERY slow burn to even start (Last Saiyuki)... Some didn't work as their original genre (comedy), being forced into another (action/horror) for better numbers (Kamio Yui). Others, just didn't really know where they were going (Double Taisei/Tokyo Shinobi). Then there's competition, like another current rugby manga that is going to get an anime, and I guess Beast Children didn't quite cut it.

It's been... an interesting year for these newer series. I hope Mitama at least, lasts long enough for an anime to be made.

Double Taise felt like it was supposed to be an absurd SoL comedy manga than shogi manga. The comedic parts are pretty good, but the shogi part was meh. It was as if the editor forced the mangaka to include shogi since the magazine needs more quirky sport manga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2