• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Haikyu!! LAND VS. AIR and THE PATH OF THE BALL

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anime_kid_cam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:29 am Reply with quote
wow
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:50 am Reply with quote
Yeah agree on all accounts. While fun to watch for the characters we know and love, the OVAs felt so flat. Having read the equivalent manga chapters, I don't really know why they chose such a summarized format. They could have made a two-part movie which would have also filled in the gap years between S3 and S4. These two matches were really fun and enjoyable in the manga, especially Nekoma vs Fukurodani, and it's disappointing that they did them such a disservice in animated form.

As a side note/nitpick: Nekoma doesn't have the Japanese character for cat, it's written with the kanji for sound and piece(of shogi)/horse/bridge (of a musical instrument). But the name is homophonous with the word for cat (neko). Likewise, Nohebi is written with the kanji for "door" and "beauty", but it's homophonous with the word for snake (hebi).
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:47 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

As a side note/nitpick

Embarassed I meant to use the word "word" instead of character. I can't believe I missed that I wrote the wrong thing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1