• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Studio DEEN Produces 5-Minute 'Samurai & Shogun' Short for Rick and Morty Animated Series

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gridsleep

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:07 am Reply with quote
This is why we need more anime like Basilisk.
gamegodtre

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:35 am Reply with quote
If only they had put this much effort into 7 deadly sins.....
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:04 am Reply with quote
I'm not familiar wit this series, but does it always look this rigid and disjointed, or is this just because it is Dean?
WANNFH

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:14 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I'm not familiar wit this series, but does it always look this rigid and disjointed, or is this just because it is Dean?
Well, it's both in that cases. Plus, this short is full CGI with the Deen level of cheapness.
GX5000

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:20 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

Not familiar with Rick and Morty?
Look it up, you'll love it.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Watched this as it aired last night, and I gotta admit... it was one of the most intriguing shorts I've seen in awhile. I do have my issues with Studio DEEN from time to time, but I think they did a rather good job incorporating Rick and Morty's animation style into their own. I kinda hope that maybe we might see more shorts like this - albeit maybe not as over the top gory as this one - in the future, because I really did enjoy this.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:57 pm Reply with quote
How the f#### did Studio DEEN make this? They aren´t the worst but close enough. S&S is an incredibly accurate adaptation of the Lone Wolf and Cub manga/films. The only thing missing was the crippling sexism to hit all marks.
How the Ricky and Marty anime sounds like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BlgTjxvXhU
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm Samurai Riiiiiick! Laughing

MarshalBanana wrote:

It's an Adult Swim show so the animation isn't amazing or anything, but this short is definitely lower quality than what Rick & Morty usually is. Well, least as far as the character models and animation goes since this is CG. The backgrounds here look nice and some of the effects do too, but the characters themselves look pretty wonky.
harminia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:53 pm Reply with quote
I thought it looked ok. I don't really watch R&M (I've seen one ep though), but I thought they emulated the animation style of it pretty well, though it also made it a bit weird to watch.
The CG was sometimes really well done, like, it blended in with 2D animation really well, and at other times (during the fight with the big muscular dude) it was really wonky.
But I thought it was a pretty good job, considering how different this is to normal stuff for DEEN.
The blood splatter looked awful but maybe it was meant to be like, to be safe.

I don't know how much DEEN dabble in CG so I can't say whether this is standard of them or if they're doing something practically completely new to them.
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Why go through the trouble of bringing in a Japanese anime studio if you're going to have the whole scene be 3D? The Amazing World of Gumball and Adventure Time did this kind of stunt better IMO
DeathToSnoppy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:29 am Reply with quote
I love the lone wolf and cub movies from the 70's and it was so cool that the action is exactly like the scenes from those films
Philmister978

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:54 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

It's cheap, but Bardel makes it work, and there's some decently animated action scenes here and there (say what you want about the Pickle Rick episode, but the action in that episode was among the show's highlights in terms of visuals and direction).

This is Just DEEN quality, and it took a year to make. What even was the budget for this thing?
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:05 pm Reply with quote
A shame that the short looks so sub par when it comes to the CGI animation. What could of been if they hired a more competent animation studio and stuck to a 2D animation model.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1