• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Overlord Novel Series Ends With 17th Volume

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LiteMangime

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:09 pm Reply with quote
first Konosuba now this?! Funny how they’re both gonna end with the same number of volume, I’m gonna miss these when they end, started them before they were turned to anime and it’s been a good ride with both Cool
Neonbar0n

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm gonna miss konosuba but i am really gonna miss overlord. Probably one of my very favorite light novels I hope the author will reconsider and keep it going at least until volume 20 like he originally thought he would.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:27 pm Reply with quote
!!!
This has been one of my favorite series to come out in recent years. I hope it gets a proper/satisfying ending and also that we get to see it animated (so, 2 or 3 more seasons I think).
Here's hoping to see a season 4 get announced!
Fluwm

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:48 pm Reply with quote
So how does that line up with the WN story?
Cryten

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Fluwm wrote:
So how does that line up with the WN story?

The light novel superceded the web novel quite a while ago. Im not sure when but it was around volume 6-9 where it past the web novel. (Since I have no read the web novel just seen comments about it)
partially

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Time to pick this up I guess. The story was a bit of mess, but I wouldn't mind finding out what happens. Although the hard-covers are pricey! Crying or Very sad
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:36 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if there's the possibility of a sequel series.
danpmss

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Hope it has a solid conclusion, this book series is some of the best in its genre (though, it's technically an "isekai"... but not really, more like "advanced VR game turned into dark fantasy reality after closure").

More than some other cours covering the rest, I would rather have a proper anime reboot for this series (or at least a special edition with 1 hour episodes expanding and executing many things more properly, since this kind of thing is happening here and there ever since Psycho Pass did its extended edition), but I doubt it.

Not at all satisfied with how the anime came to be, compared to the much better source material light novel series. Then again, I really doubt it would happen, pretty sure they would just cover yet some other 3 considerably lenghty books in 13 episodes or so yet again (varying on about three 400+ pages books per season, which is just ridiculous).

If only it wasn't just for the time constrains of a limited single cour run per season, but not only that, the execution of the adaptation made even rushed arcs like the Lizardmen one (which I really think would have benefit a lot more being a movie instead) feel slow and boring instead (it was Mahouka's anime all over again).

Overlord should have otherwise just adapted 2 books per season at best, as some books later on can by themselves fill an entire anime cour worth of content .

Season 3's books thus far were the most terribly affected and the most butchered by a long shot (book 8's meta-narrative was obliterated, and book 7 and 9.... we really don't talk about how much those were lacking in substance) but I can only imagine what will happen to the later books, that can go as far as being nearly 600 pages doorstoppers lol
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Guess we got six more novels to go. Volume 12 comes out late June from Amazon.

Volume 12 and 13 appear to be self contained, so that leaves volume 14 thru volume 17 to hash out all those teasing appearances of the Slane Theocracy, and all those other super powered beings hiding in the back pages.

So I am hoping the final four volumes will be cataclysmic.
minamikaze

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Article wrote:
The 13th compiled book volume shipped two years ago, in April 2018.

Volume 14 was released last month.

Last edited by minamikaze on Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:57 pm Reply with quote
BlueAlf wrote:
I wonder if there's the possibility of a sequel series.

Very doubtful. Its pretty clear that Maruyama is sick of writing (at least Overlord). He has gotten in drama over piracy and stuff ever since Season 3 finished. He is either gonna write something completely different, take a long vacation, or quit.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:38 am Reply with quote
minamikaze wrote:
Quote:

Those are the Japanese editions, I was referring to the western editions.
minamikaze

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:20 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
minamikaze wrote:
Quote:

Those are the Japanese editions, I was referring to the western editions.

Sorry for the confusion, I was quoting and correcting what was written in the article which was referring to the Japanese editions, not your post. Also, in rereading the article, its source was the 14th volume, which it says was released in March, so my comment was actually unnecessary.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Why does it seem like a lot of popular light novel series are ending lately? We had SNAFU ending last year, recently The Devil is a Part Timer was announced to be ending, and now Overlord. What will end next?
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:46 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Guess we got six more novels to go. Volume 12 comes out late June from Amazon.

Volume 12 and 13 appear to be self contained, so that leaves volume 14 thru volume 17 to hash out all those teasing appearances of the Slane Theocracy, and all those other super powered beings hiding in the back pages.

So I am hoping the final four volumes will be cataclysmic.

Well English release being behind aside,Overlord's author has three volumes left to pick one of multiple story threads he's teased,to wrap up Overlord.
Considering the author consistently(monotonously) creates New World characters that are "super powered" only to pale in comparison with the OP beings of Nazarick....There are really is only one story line that could bring Overlord to a conclusion I feel...and the anime all but cut it completely out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2