• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kyoto Animation's Studio 1 Building Demolition Completed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:56 am Reply with quote
Sad to see this Sad
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:59 am Reply with quote
it seems like this has been buried under with the viral pandemic, but this incident has always been hanging at the back of my mind since it happened.

At this point it's a shame there's not that can be said any more than life goes on. I do, however, find it insanely frustrating due to the secrecy of police politics in Japan, we won't be seeing live court hearings or publicized updates on the arsonist's state.

I just really want to know his fate because of the loopholes in Japan's legal system that has infamously given notorious killers anything but death. It would be horrible if the same happened here.
gridsleep

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:06 am Reply with quote
Local government was very efficient at eliminating all the evidence of their totally incompetent building regulations, which led to a business site that was little more than a crematorium waiting to be lit, regardless that the occupents were all still alive.
As for the death penalty, the many valid arguments against it aside, it is usually not implemented against anyone who is clearly mentally ill.
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:25 am Reply with quote
gridsleep wrote:
Local government was very efficient at eliminating all the evidence of their totally incompetent building regulations, which led to a business site that was little more than a crematorium waiting to be lit, regardless that the occupents were all still alive.
As for the death penalty, the many valid arguments against it aside, it is usually not implemented against anyone who is clearly mentally ill.

See the problem with this argument is while it is true, it is also true you cannot truly stop someone that wants to murder in most cases. Let's consider the fact the guy was batshit fuckin insane and armed with a bag full of knives and hammers in addition to planning out an arson. Not only do Japanese people obviously not have things like firearms, but these are also cartoon animators and not remotely people trained to fight back.

It was still going to be a horrific tragedy regardless.

Second, true, but it's inconsistent in Japan's case. Sometimes they have hung people (that won't go named) arguably slightly more insane than this arsonist, a lot of the other times they do this trick of eventually releasing them anonymously. The second one is what offends me because let's just say there's still a band of the worst killers ever seen on post-WW2 Japanese soil walking freely now due to a loophole. I would at least not want that to happen with this guy.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:24 am Reply with quote
njprogfan wrote:
Sad to see this Sad

This studio has meant so much to the anime community and to fans across the world. Hopefully they do move forward with a memorial in its place with the names of all the victims.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:29 am Reply with quote
7jaws7 wrote:
njprogfan wrote:
Sad to see this Sad

This studio has meant so much to the anime community and to fans across the world. Hopefully they do move forward with a memorial in its place with the names of all the victims.

This ^
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:18 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:

I spent time learning about the Japanese prison system with an international lawyer who is the head of a school in Hikone. Specifically with Japan, even taking into account a general low conviction rate for many smaller crimes (conviction rates increase the more severe the crime), overall recidivism in Japan is one of the lowest in the world. Their prison system here is absolutely brutal, for one, but it carries a focus on reintegration into society and partially thanks to a hardlined culture of fitting in, it is extremely successful. Also, regarding those released anonymously back into society, that is done for their own safety. That rule (which is uncommon in the first place) was added partially due to situations in the past where reformed criminals were sought out and assaulted or killed by people seeking revenge. A release can be delayed if a prisoner is deemed a danger upon release, but it's rare to see that thanks to the general success of their rehabilitation.

It's not just Japan, either. Overall, in countries where prison systems are focused on rehabilitation over punishment, recidivism rates are significantly lower than in countries (especially the U.S.) where punishment and catharsis for victims is the greater motivation in the justice system (on a side note, privatization of prisons also incentivizes higher prison populations for low-wage contract labor, so rehabilitation and lower recidivism rates work contrary to a privatized prison industry, hence the low incentive for prison reform in the U.S. in particular). To avoid the correlation = causation issue, extensive study on the subject I've done in school indicated that rehabilitative facility reform alone has had the greatest impact on general crime rate decrease in countries where the reform was implemented.
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:

Also, regarding those released anonymously back into society, that is done for their own safety. That rule (which is uncommon in the first place) was added partially due to situations in the past where reformed criminals were sought out and assaulted or killed by people seeking revenge.

i know it's done for their safety, but if they do reform, it's still in bad taste depending on the severity of their crimes.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:47 pm Reply with quote
So sad this massacre happened at all. Hope that changes are made in Japan to prevent this from happening again and it fits within the public interest of Japanese citizens.
Juno016

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:23 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:

i know it's done for their safety, but if they do reform, it's still in bad taste depending on the severity of their crimes.

I dunno about you, but "bad taste" sounds like a pretty vague, emotional argument based on personal values, not statistical or falsifiable grounds for legislation.
Gurren Rodan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:10 pm Reply with quote
This incident has barely left my mind, even over half a year later (good grief, it's really been that long now). I hope the studio and staff will have more positive news to share in the near future, for their own sakes as well as their fans.

As to the criminal and his eventual sentence: wasn't he arrested a couple of times before? Obviously he hadn't committed something on this level, but I kind of get the impression from tidbits I've read that he wasn't getting the attention/treatment he needed in prison. However they end up sentencing him, I hope they crack down and follow through on it seriously. It's obvious he's not safe to be left in public or unsupervised.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 8:56 pm Reply with quote
njprogfan wrote:
Sad to see this Sad

All of the anniversary dates ― as they come and go ― will be hard; for close family and friends all major holidays and friends/family gatherings will be painful.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1