• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Haruichi Furudate's Haikyu!! Manga Ends on July 20

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RenRen94

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:04 am Reply with quote
I'm expecting a season 5 announcement after season 4 part 2 airs then. Considering its popularity, I expect a full adaptation of the manga. Gotta see more of our lovable volleyball dorks animated Very Happy
cchigu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:23 pm Reply with quote
RenRen94 wrote:
I'm expecting a season 5 announcement after season 4 part 2 airs then. Considering its popularity, I expect a full adaptation of the manga. Gotta see more of our lovable volleyball dorks animated Very Happy
Season 5 is more or less a given but I am more concerned about the pacing since I don't think that 2 cours would be enough for the remaining material.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Right now, I'm not optimistic about Haikyu!! getting a full adaptation because of season 4's middling BD/DVD sales, but I hope my concern is unfounded. I think a 25-episode fifth season would be enough to reach the last chapter before the final arc, and then another 10-12 episodes could cover the rest.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Shonen Jump is having one heck of a year, huh? Look what's happened to all its biggest series.

May: Demon Slayer ends.

June: The Promised Neverland ends.

July: Haikyuu! ends.

Wow, I can't believe One Piece is finally ending next month*.

Seriously, though, this may turn out to be the toughest year for Jump since Dragon Ball ended. They've lost three of the best selling manga in the world in just 90 days. That's going to be brutal for sales, but also creates a big opening for new series going forward. Who knows how the Shonen landscape will look a year from now? We're probably in for some surprising new franchises!

(*I'm joking, there's no way One Piece wraps up all its various plotlines in less than three years.)
Ushio

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
Right now, I'm not optimistic about Haikyu!! getting a full adaptation because of season 4's middling BD/DVD sales, but I hope my concern is unfounded. I think a 25-episode fifth season would be enough to reach the last chapter before the final arc, and then another 10-12 episodes could cover the rest.

3 years ago I would have agreed but disc sales have become basically irrelevant for any show that gets an international streaming deal. The amount of money Crunchyroll (AT&T), Funimation (Sony) and Netflix are throwing at anime shows now is just insane and it's still vastly cheaper than western live action scripted which due to no backend syndication is double what old media pays.
OH&S

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:25 pm Reply with quote
This is one of the rare long running manga which managed to keep its consistent high quality right to the very end of the series.

Eyeshield21 couldn't do it.
Kuroko no Basuke couldn't do it.
The Promised Neverland and Kimetsu no Yaiba were half the length and they couldn't do it either.

But Haikyuu!! did.

I will miss reading this series weekly.
kgw

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:01 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:

(*I'm joking, there's no way One Piece wraps up all its various plotlines in less than three years.)

We all know it'd be ended by 2030, as Ghostwriter Paradox told us. Razz Very Happy

I still think Kimetsu no yaiba had a quite fine ending. The idea from the beginning was spoiler[ending with the demons, killing Muzan Kibutsuji and making Nezuko a human again and Gotoge did it.] No need to drag it for years *cough* Naruto *cough* simply because you love money too much.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:34 am Reply with quote
Why was this news item removed from the main page? Is this series not ending with the next chapter after all?

Edit: my bad, they just shifted it to the right pane of the page. Embarassed
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Congrats Haikyuu! I’m incredibly behind on the series, but I love it and its characters to pieces! Hoping the ending is satisfying!
simona.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:18 pm Reply with quote
I don't think I can survive this (Anime cry)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1