• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix's Dragon's Dogma Anime Reveals Trailer, Key Art

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:05 pm Reply with quote
CG is about on par with the recent Berserk. The monsters models look straight out of a PS2 cutscene. Not promising at all.
Charou

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:16 pm Reply with quote
This is absolutely terrible, and that's ignoring the CG. It looks like a derivative mix of their own Castlevania and, of course, Lord of the Rings. What's with the cliched backstory to the Arisen? More importantly, where is the *incredible* Dragon's Dogma/Dark Arisen soundtrack? What, are they saving a remix of one track for episode 7 of the second season too?

I wouldn't blame anyone for dismissing this out of hand, and by extension unfairly dismissing what was and remains a really good if flawed source game.

The English lip-syncing is the nail in the coffin -- in the off-chance they get decent seiyuu for the Japanese dub, it's just going to feel weird (as it did with Castlevania despite them getting several big seiyuu, but at least the English version of that was well-acted).

What an epic injustice has been done here.
7777ale7777

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:39 pm Reply with quote
No Selene? 0/10
Charou

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:55 pm Reply with quote
7777ale7777 wrote:
No Selene? 0/10

I mean, she might be in there, but at only 7 episodes....maybe a beer-brewing cameo? I'm not getting any sense of the grander narrative that permeated Gransys. Most importantly, the intrigue in Gran Soren that dominated the latter half of the game's main story.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Charou wrote:
Lord of the Rings. What's with the cliched backstory to the Arisen?

The backstory that's essentially the exact same as the character's backstory from the game?
Charou

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:38 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Charou wrote:
Lord of the Rings. What's with the cliched backstory to the Arisen?

The backstory that's essentially the exact same as the character's backstory from the game?

Feel free to elaborate there, because as I recall it you're a tabula rasa who just happened to be on the beach at Cassardis when The Dragon attacks and takes your heart when you rather futilely try to fight back. You could be male or female, old or young. There was no back story to the Arisen beyond that. Spoilers abound, but this page seems to cover it nicely.

https://dragonsdogma.fandom.com/wiki/Arisen

The trailer is so focused on this dull so-called 'quest for vengeance' that it completely fails to convey the deeper connection between the Arisen and the Dragon beyond some toothless taunting. This 'anime' is, judging by this trailer, DDINO. Dragon's Dogma In Name Only.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:55 pm Reply with quote
It feels like someone created the anti Dragon Prince with this, and well...hopefully it’s good.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:32 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
It feels like someone created the anti Dragon Prince with this, and well...hopefully it’s good.

Anti Dragon Prince as in bad CG?
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:32 am Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:

Anti Dragon Prince as in bad CG?

Dragon Prince’s CG is pretty crap, but I meant the story.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:19 am Reply with quote
Charou wrote:

Feel free to elaborate there, because as I recall it you're a tabula rasa who just happened to be on the beach at Cassardis when The Dragon attacks and takes your heart when you rather futilely try to fight back. You could be male or female, old or young. There was no back story to the Arisen beyond that. Spoilers abound, but this page seems to cover it nicely.

If the anime is going with the idea that the Arisen was some poor villager minding his own business when a big Dragon decided to cause problems for him, they pretty much are given the Arisen the same background as the game, the character being a blank slate in the game is moot. Admittedly I've not watched the trailer which of course isn't going to divulge every single detail and facet about the series.

Charou wrote:

The trailer is so focused on this dull so-called 'quest for vengeance' that it completely fails to convey the deeper connection between the Arisen and the Dragon beyond some toothless taunting. This 'anime' is, judging by this trailer, DDINO. Dragon's Dogma In Name Only.

I mean by and large that pretty much is the one of the things about the original game that people remember the most whereas the connection Grigori to an extent is a spoiler so it at least makes sense to not focus on that to a large extent.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:03 am Reply with quote
A bit better than I expected... maybe? It still looks fairly generic but there is less competent stuff out there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1