• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Light Novelist Masami Morokuchi Announces Indefinite Hiatus

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:13 pm Reply with quote
On one hand, this reminds me a little of the manga "Downfall" by Inio Asano, of a mangaka becoming cynical because they aren't as successful as they believe they should be. Feels like Morokuchi wants to quit and complain because they aren't being praised enough.

On the other hand, bigger/more popular mangaka/artists have whole departments to take care of fan mail and messages, and likely don't interact online personally with fans very much. For a seemingly less popular writer like Morokuchi, actually paying attention to and interacting with fans online, and then seeing that dwindle as time goes on, probably hurts quite a bit. I hope something turns around for them.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Sounds really painful. Maybe he can take a trip somewhere once the virus is gone. Sounds like he needs one
CrypticPurpose

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like he needs a break, and the reality-check that tends to come with those; the way he is interpreting fan feedback seems more like a reflection of his own self-image. That kind of negative confirmation bias is common when depressed, and this man is definitely quite depressed. He needs some real talk with people unrelated to his work to recalibrate his perspective. Having millions of fans tell you how great you are may be a good sign of popularity, but zero feedback doesn't mean you're unpopular - it just means you aren't getting feedback. He should take pride in his work because *he* feels it is great, not rely on the world to tell him so. Measuring your success based on external factors you have no control over is a sure path to failure, and, if you can't even love yourself, how can you expect it of others?
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:56 pm Reply with quote
I can understand his frustration. Dwindling sales and no fan interaction or comments. Why write if no one is really going to read you.

If Masami Morokuchi is writing so that people can hear his stories, it would be quite depressing not to receive interaction with your fans.

But if you are writing because your stories demand to be written down, that is another story there.
harminia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:22 pm Reply with quote
I don't know the guy's work (Though I've heard of Are You Alice), but I completely understand how he feels. As a creator, a lack of feedback/response is disheartening. It's depressing to work hard on something only for no one (or at best maybe 1 or 2 people) to respond to it. I know I go through this spiral of "no one reacts to my stuff and therefore it's garbage and I should just give up" every so often. It's really hard to deal with, and it's super depressing. Even if you get back up and try again, it's always there on the horizon waiting to strike you down again.

I hope he can realise he has no doubt has fans out there, but that they might just be quiet appreciators who maybe aren't comfortable leaving a message for him.
But if putting away his pen is what he feels would be best for his mental state, I 100% support him. Just because he's stopping now doesn't mean he can't come back sometime later and do a story here or there.

The pressure to get noticed + the anxiety and depression from not getting noticed are dangerous elements, so I'd prefer he does whatever makes him feel better.
PseudoFiction

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:08 am Reply with quote
Tried looking up what his books are about, but not much about him on the English side of the internet, as far as a Google search goes.

But declining sales is the starkest indicator in all media, people are only going to buy what they like. Only shame is that he spent two years kind of limping along hoping for a rebound.
Flare-kun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:36 am Reply with quote
As a writer myself, I think it's good to be self-critical, to a point. The challenge of getting people to respond positively to one's work is what drives the development of one's art and craft as a writer. It sounds to me like Morokuchi is having a bit of an existential crisis and wondering whether he's got the chops. Taking a break and getting some perspective will hopefully be just what he needs to decide whether he wants to let it go or fight further along the path of the writer. As long as he works hard and focuses on honing his abilities (and himself), he will enjoy great success.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:57 am Reply with quote
Many authors though like to be left alone and write what they want to write, without people interfering
chocorade

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:58 pm Reply with quote
While I understand his viewing point, I also think that going into a hiatus because he doesn't have "enough" fans, it's quite rude to the people that support him... What a 50/50 situation :/
I hope he clears his mind and gets back on his track ♥
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1