• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Inuyasha and Kagome Endorse Rumiko Takahashi's MAO Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Anyone know how well this is doing in Japan? I assume it's doing well given the mangaka, but ANN doesn't have a page for it yet so it's hard to see any backlog of info. Odd it's not even licensed in English despite being a Rumiko Takahashi release, as well.
MangaNeko

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Mao does have an InuYasha feel to it. I am guessing Takahashi made a deal to let the new Yashahime series, if a Mao series is later animated. I do hope Viz will release the first volume of Mao before the end of 2021.
Abraham Omosun

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:16 pm Reply with quote
FlowerAiko wrote:
Anyone know how well this is doing in Japan? I assume it's doing well given the mangaka, but ANN doesn't have a page for it yet so it's hard to see any backlog of info. Odd it's not even licensed in English despite being a Rumiko Takahashi release, as well.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Wsstalkback/status/1318347086325219338
kgw

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:52 am Reply with quote
FlowerAiko wrote:

After Rin-ne's fiasco, I am quite sure publishers (Viz or any other) are not eager to release another long series from Rumiko Takahashi
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:44 am Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
FlowerAiko wrote:

After Rin-ne's fiasco, I am quite sure publishers (Viz or any other) are not eager to release another long series from Rumiko Takahashi

Care to explain what you mean?
kgw

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:20 am Reply with quote
It is selling quite slowly and frankly most people stopped paying attention to it a long time ago.
Even the anime was detached from Crunchyroll and nobody really cared.
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:58 am Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
It is selling quite slowly and frankly most people stopped paying attention to it a long time ago.
Even the anime was detached from Crunchyroll and nobody really cared.

They are doing rereleases of a bunch of Takahashi's other stuff though. Mermaid and Maison Ikkoku are getting rereleases, and they're finally finishing Urusei Yatsura.

I think Mao has a better chance of doing well over here than Rinne. It's got an Inuyasha feel to it, and with the Inuyasha nostalgia ramping up, it would be a good time to strike with a Viz release.

Mao's sales are also much better in Japan than Rinne's were.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:24 am Reply with quote
Mao vol 5 sold pretty much exactly the same as Rinne vol 5, ~70k or so.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-09-29/japanese-comic-ranking-september-20-26

Rinne sold much less, closer to 20k per volume as it dragged on, but at least when comparing first 5 volumes, Mao's sales are certainly not "much better".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1