• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Adds Boogiepop Phantom Anime to Catalog

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aresef

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:35 pm Reply with quote
This was the first anime I really got into (not counting Pokemon, Digimon and such). I watched it on TechTV/G4 back in the day. If you haven't seen it yet, you really ought to. I'd also add that the series is on Blu-ray now, too.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:07 pm Reply with quote
I don't know what Blu-ray would add to it. My memory was that it had a deliberately grainy look, like an added layer of fog between the viewer and the mysteries of the events unfolding on the screen.

But I remember it being an excellent show. I hope Seven Seas brings out more of the novels --- I have the first two omnibus volumes (taking us up through the sixth novel), but haven't seen anything more. I'd be happy even if they only brought out e-book versions.
Aresef

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:37 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
I don't know what Blu-ray would add to it. My memory was that it had a deliberately grainy look, like an added layer of fog between the viewer and the mysteries of the events unfolding on the screen.

But I remember it being an excellent show. I hope Seven Seas brings out more of the novels --- I have the first two omnibus volumes (taking us up through the sixth novel), but haven't seen anything more. I'd be happy even if they only brought out e-book versions.

Aside from the last episode, yeah, it had a certain look. But here's what HD does for it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d6fjMvAyMo
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:11 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:

Nozomi released the show on Blu-ray last year and managed to get the home video version for their upscale so it should be a good upgrade over the TV-based DVDs.

https://www.rightstufanime.com/Boogiepop-Phantom-TV-Series-Complete-Collection-Blu-ray

If only they did the same with Kare Kano.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:46 pm Reply with quote
The original Boogiepop Phantom is also on Funimation but glad to see it's on Crunchyroll where more people who don't have Funimation can watch it.
Aresef

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:50 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
dm wrote:

Nozomi released the show on Blu-ray last year and managed to get the home video version for their upscale so it should be a good upgrade over the TV-based DVDs.

https://www.rightstufanime.com/Boogiepop-Phantom-TV-Series-Complete-Collection-Blu-ray

If only they did the same with Kare Kano.

Where did Boogiepop's HD version originate though? Was there an HD version put out in Japan first by Madhouse et al?
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Aresef wrote:
Where did Boogiepop's HD version originate though? Was there an HD version put out in Japan first by Madhouse et al?

Nope, AFAIK, it never got an HD airing nor a Blu-ray release in Japan and Nozomi did the upscale here themselves.
Aresef

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:00 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Aresef wrote:

Nope, AFAIK, it never got an HD airing nor a Blu-ray release in Japan and Nozomi did the upscale here themselves.

Ohh Ok. I was looking at the credits for the first episode of the HD version and didn’t see anything related to the upscaling. Thanks. If I had to guess, though, the reason they polished Boogiepop and not Kare Kano is to ride the coattails of Boogiepop and Others.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1