• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: One Piece's Eiichiro Oda Enthusiastically Praises Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeino

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Well, that's two respected Shonen mangaka stanning for Demon Slayer. (Yoshihiro Togashi was doing it before the anime version even came out and it's popularity exploded.) KnoY may not be the most revolutionary series but when your manga is getting praise from the giants of the field, you must have done something right.
Crystalblade13

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
Well, that's two respected Shonen mangaka stanning for Demon Slayer. (Yoshihiro Togashi was doing it before the anime version even came out and it's popularity exploded.) KnoY may not be the most revolutionary series but when your manga is getting praise from the giants of the field, you must have done something right.
It’s a good show, but I really think it’s got some kinda huge bias in Japan solely because of the culture and tropes it embodies. Cause it’s really not revolutionary at all. It’s good though. Too bad the ending apparently sucks from what I’ve heard.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Crystalblade13 wrote:
Zeino wrote:
It’s a good show, but I really think it’s got some kinda huge bias in Japan solely because of the culture and tropes it embodies. Cause it’s really not revolutionary at all. It’s good though. Too bad the ending apparently sucks from what I’ve heard.

I think it's less bias and that it reached all demographics in Japan, largely due to characters like Tanjiro being more relatable to them compared to most Shonen protagonists. Of course, that type has been done sometime before, but Tanjiro is the most polished one, so being unique is not the mere merit of making something awesome, execution of tropes is.
KarlFranz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:51 am Reply with quote
Crystalblade13 wrote:
Zeino wrote:

The ending on Jump was cut but the official version with the cut pages is a lot better and make the ending more complete. Also not everything need to be revolutionary to be good, it the execution is what matter, not the ideas.
Crystalblade13

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:21 am Reply with quote
KarlFranz wrote:
Crystalblade13 wrote:
Zeino wrote:

The ending on Jump was cut but the official version with the cut pages is a lot better and make the ending more complete. Also not everything need to be revolutionary to be good, it the execution is what matter, not the ideas.
Agreed. And from what I’ve seen, the excecution is pretty good so far. As far as the writing goes I mean. Obviously the adaptation itself is S tier with its animation and music.
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:05 am Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
Too bad the ending apparently sucks from what I’ve heard.

I think the ending itself made sense but that the manga was shorter than it was expected and some plot points were dropped in ways that felt off. The series lacks the, shall I say, minibosses that older Jump manga have.

In the end, being a simples series might actually be it's bigger selling point because while deconstructive shonen tends to be popular with more hardcore manga fans, a simple series like Kimetsu no Yaiba can appeal even to people outside of the usual public. In that sense, being revolutionary might've actually worked against the series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1