• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Makoto Shinkai Talks Demon Slayer, Hints at His Next Work

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morry

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:55 pm Reply with quote
The pandemic influencing his next work is a no-brainer. I look forward to the teen romance in a plant-zombie plague apocalypse story.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:07 pm Reply with quote
I have a pretty good feeling that a lot of works are going to have inspirations from this pandemic in pretty much all media in general not just Anime for the next few years.
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:16 pm Reply with quote
The current events have caused more mistrust in government, the police, the medicine corps, mainstream media and big tech, if anything. But to speak of such things openly is verboten.

So while I expect that the first slate of artistic works will be general back-patting and people-come-together themes. It will not be until at least a decade later when artists are finally more comfortable looking back at these events with the critical eye it deserves, long after it's too late to hold anyone responsible. Until then I don't see any big event productions having the balls to tackle it. At least not openly, but rather codified through symbolism.
90s-shonen-fan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Morry wrote:
The pandemic influencing his next work is a no-brainer. I look forward to the teen romance in a plant-zombie plague apocalypse story.

I wonder about this ... "The Place Promised In Our Early Days" had a "potential end of life as we know it" plot, "Children Who Chase Lost Voices" was flat out about death, "Your Name" was about a small town getting wiped off the map and "Weathering With You" was a global warming parable. Also, few of his movies have an unambiguous happy ending (Children Who Chase Lost Voices, Weathering With You, The Garden of Words and 5 Centimeters Per Second didn't, and even The Place Promised In Our Early Days was an "only one guy can get the girl" type of situation).

So maybe going against the grain by delivering an unabashed crowd-pleaser would work? I would see it as less of a betrayal of his artistic sensibilities as doing something that he hasn't done yet in over 20 years of directing films, at least not in his feature length ones (or several of his shorts like Voices of a Distant Star).
7jaws7

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:39 pm Reply with quote
90s-shonen-fan wrote:
His being such a stand up guy makes me feel guilty for not liking "Weathering With You" more.

Makoto Shinkai is one of my biggest inspirations in the anime industry, for the sole reason of your name. No reason to feel guilty about not liking his other movies.

I'm personally not a huge fan of Demon Slayer, so I would also admit to being jealous that yet another good-looking action/fantasy shōnen would steal the spotlight from a more grounded, down-to-earth romance. Razz

I hope he does well with his new film - although I recall him mentioning how the adverse affects of social media also influenced him. That was pre-pandemic though, wonder if he'll incorporate both ideas in his next movie?
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:42 am Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
The current events have caused more mistrust in government, the police, the medicine corps, mainstream media and big tech, if anything. But to speak of such things openly is verboten.

So while I expect that the first slate of artistic works will be general back-patting and people-come-together themes. It will not be until at least a decade later when artists are finally more comfortable looking back at these events with the critical eye it deserves, long after it's too late to hold anyone responsible. Until then I don't see any big event productions having the balls to tackle it. At least not openly, but rather codified through symbolism.

What makes you think it's verboten in regards to police and mainstream media?
Erufailon4

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:37 am Reply with quote
Post-apocalypse, huh... His latest couple of films have been more mythology-centered so I wonder if he's now returning to his sci-fi roots.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:11 am Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
jdnation wrote:

What makes you think it's verboten in regards to police and mainstream media?

Or big tech or government for that matter? The latter depends on the country of course, but for most democracies, it doesn’t seem prohibited.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Morry wrote:
The pandemic influencing his next work is a no-brainer.

I agree. I think any artist would find it difficult to not let life influence their work in any way.
SouthParkboy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:38 pm Reply with quote
It's really good that Makoto Shinkai is going to do a new movie but seeing his last films before he is going to make a new one, you have a feeling it is going to be in that same universe as his previous movies that are The Garden of Words, Your Name and Weathering with You. Seeing how some of characters from Your Name made cameos in Weathering with You, my main bet is some of characters from Weathering with You will make cameos in his new movie that is set in an aftermath of an apocalypse.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1