• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Destiny of the Shrine Maiden Manga Gets New Spinoff Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:18 pm Reply with quote
The yuri landscape has changed a lot since Kannazuki no Miko's debut so what else could they add or expand upon? Though I heard that other spinoff Zettai Shoujo Seiiki Amnesian was pretty bad.
chappellefan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I'm excited for this manga, but that's because I grew up with the series and there are definitely nostalgia goggles at play.

Kaishaku are not exactly the strongest writers and most of the follow ups to KnM (notably the bad Shattered Angels and the trainwreck that was Animesian) aren't exactly ringing endorsements.

Still, I'll pass judgement when the time comes.
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:54 pm Reply with quote
This one was my first yuri. So I'm excited to see this.
Heishi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Can...it be?

Can it really be?

Have Himeko and Chikane finally come back to the anime/manga world after 15 years? Shocked

...This truly is a miracle in light of such dark times. The yuri kingdom is overjoyed that the goddesses of yuri are back to right the wrongs of the yuri and non yuri anime world and remind everyone why they came to existence in the first place. CHIMEKO is great!
Hakase

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:48 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
The yuri landscape has changed a lot since Kannazuki no Miko's debut so what else could they add or expand upon? Though I heard that other spinoff Zettai Shoujo Seiiki Amnesian was pretty bad.

Heishi wrote:
Can...it be?

Can it really be?

Have Himeko and Chikane finally come back to the anime/manga world after 15 years? Shocked

...This truly is a miracle in light of such dark times. The yuri kingdom is overjoyed that the goddesses of yuri are back to right the wrongs of the yuri and non yuri anime world and remind everyone why they came to existence in the first place. CHIMEKO is great!

The yuri landscape has changed a lot indeed. More yuri anime have come and gone for several years but unfortunately, the Japanese mainstream, specifically the ones that have 95% female cast, has treated it like a joke. Many "yuri" fans nowadays prefer shipping girls over mere subtext and despite that they're meant to romance the player character who's almost always a male. It's no wonder that yuri never sells and I hope that with the possible return of Kannazuki no Miko, this will revitalize the yuri landscape
Heishi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The yuri landscape has changed a lot indeed. More yuri anime have come and gone for several years but unfortunately, the Japanese mainstream, specifically the ones that have 95% female cast, has treated it like a joke. Many "yuri" fans nowadays prefer shipping girls over mere subtext and despite that they're meant to romance the player character who's almost always a male. It's no wonder that yuri never sells and I hope that with the possible return of Kannazuki no Miko, this will revitalize the yuri landscape

Yuri fans have always shipped characters before, this isn't new. It is the result of the overly used trope "subtext". A trope which I, personally can't stand. Since the end of the second volume of the manga back in 2005, we've just witnessed psycho lesbian character after psycho lesbian character, subtext nonsense piled on one series after another, and that's really the genre's cardinal sin.

Hopefully with CHIMEKO sama's return, we can see some significant change, especially in this hyper culture war age.

Last edited by Heishi on Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Hakase

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
Quote:

Yuri fans have always shipped characters before, this isn't new. It is the result of the overly used trope "subtext". A trope which I, personally can't stand. Since the end of the second volume of the manga back in 2005, we've just witnessed psycho lesbian character after psycho lesbian character, subext nonsense piled on series after another, and that's really the genre's cardinal sin.

Hopefully with CHIMEKO sama's return, we can see some significant change, especially in this hyper culture war age.

Well said. Yuri has been a joke for almost a decade. Even Yuri on Ice made it an utter joke. I hope Kannazuki no Miko's return will bring back the golden age of yuri
Heishi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Well said. Yuri has been a joke for almost a decade. Even Yuri on Ice made it an utter joke. I hope Kannazuki no Miko's return will bring back the golden age of yuri

And hopefully the glory years of the KnM franchise will make a glorious comeback.
We must place our hope in CHIMEKO-sama!
Hakase

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:48 am Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
Quote:

And hopefully the glory years of the KnM franchise will make a glorious comeback.
We must place our hope in CHIMEKO-sama!

Amen!
Mikoto Himemiya

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Guys! You have no idea how happy I am. It was Priestesses who became my first and still beloved Yuri Anime. And now, 17 years later, Himeko and Chikane returned. I hope this time they will choose their own path, renouncing the so-called "destiny". Man himself creates his own destiny, in which I sincerely believe. The wind of change is coming!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1