• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hello Kitty's Hollywood Animated/Live-Action Film Hires Directors (Updated)

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:19 pm Reply with quote
I have a feeling they're going to make this a romantic comedy aimed at teenage girls with Hello Kitty as a backdrop. Think about this project as Onegai My Melody, but to the Freeform crowd. With that in mind, I'm sure they're going to have a lot of fun making this movie.
Mizuki-Takashima

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:28 pm Reply with quote
While I love the idea of a live action/animated hybrid, I rarely ever see them executed well. I don't know where the story will go but I imagine it being a cross between that new Tom and Jerry movie and the Hello Kitty Channel on YouTube. (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyof-1Ko_jy2sOtivyTpc4Q/videos)

I actually really like how weird and quirky that channel is, and I think that iteration of her could work in live action (at least in theory)!
JennLegacy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:45 am Reply with quote
The cynical part of me thinks we're going to get something similar to the Sonic the Hedgehog and Smurf movies.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:47 am Reply with quote
Is this a joke? There can't be anything less suited to being adapted into a live action film than Hello Kitty. I've seen plenty of films like this, especially one with a certain cat that was in 2004, and guess how most of those films do? Rolling Eyes

This also sounds like it'll be a film that nobody over 6 years old will find heartwarming or enjoyable.

Last edited by Sailor Sedna on Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:41 am Reply with quote
Does anyone over the age of 10 want this? This sounds like a horrible idea. I'd be fine with an animated HK film but this just reeks of a bad idea.

Oh wells...their money, I guess.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:44 am Reply with quote
JennLegacy wrote:
The cynical part of me thinks we're going to get something similar to the Sonic the Hedgehog and Smurf movies.

The cynical part of me wishes I thought it will be half as good as Sonic. Lol
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:58 am Reply with quote
Mizuki-Takashima wrote:
While I love the idea of a live action/animated hybrid, I rarely ever see them executed well. I don't know where the story will go but I imagine it being a cross between that new Tom and Jerry movie and the Hello Kitty Channel on YouTube. (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyof-1Ko_jy2sOtivyTpc4Q/videos)

I actually really like how weird and quirky that channel is, and I think that iteration of her could work in live action (at least in theory)!

The Trope Maker for animation as we know it, Winsor McCay's "Gertie the Dinosaur", was a live-action/animated silent short. The more famous non-vaudeville version was distributed by Fox and was arguably their first real hit movie.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:42 am Reply with quote
Mizuki-Takashima wrote:
While I love the idea of a live action/animated hybrid, I rarely ever see them executed well.

There are some exceptions, one very good one was done all the way back in -88, Who Framed Roger Rabbit;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv6dWhBlsoM

...of course, that may have been a fluke, Pixels was made in 2015, and I wouldn't exactly call that one in positive terms...
CastMember1991

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:23 am Reply with quote
JennLegacy wrote:

The Sonic move was actually really good. Sonic himself actually looks like his video game counterpart (largely due to Paramount listening to fans), and it also let Jim Carrey make a much needed comeback.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:23 am Reply with quote
But how will it compare to Tamala?
JennLegacy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:52 pm Reply with quote
CastMember1991 wrote:
JennLegacy wrote:

The Sonic move was actually really good. Sonic himself actually looks like his video game counterpart (largely due to Paramount listening to fans), and it also let Jim Carrey make a much needed comeback.

As a lifelong Sonic fan, my thoughts on the movie were a little more mixed. I had very low expectation going in, so I did end up enjoying it, but it ended up feeling like a throwaway script they had prepared for any cartoon/live action crossover film and just happened to stick Sonic into it. (That and I did not grow up with the 90s "way past cool" era of Sonic they were mostly pulling from and it just didn't really resemble the version of him I'm personally familiar with. If anything, he read more closely to IDW Silver to me.)

But I guess what I'm trying to get at is this is more likely to end up being a movie about how wacky it is that a cartoon character is suddenly in our "modern and realistic" society than anything that actually has to do with Hello Kitty. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:46 am Reply with quote
If I'm being honest,I don't really have a problem with this. There are those who might not like Hollywood doing something with Hello Kitty. I'm not one of them. I think if they stay true to the character and keep things on a family friendly basis,it can work. In fact,I'd like to see it when it comes out. It'll be interesting to see how they handle this thing. Again,if they keep things cute,sweet,and innocent,I think the movie will be successful.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1