• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 'So I'm a Spider, So What?' Manga Artist Praises the 'Vulgarity' of Mushoku Tensei's Setti

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrypticPurpose

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Three thumbs up for his honest, candid take. People are really getting far too judgemental these days.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:33 pm Reply with quote
It's getting kind of exhausting how people are mixing up "sex positivity" with "casual/rampant sexual assault".
#Bird_Black

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:49 pm Reply with quote
It's hard to take this kind of message seriously when this anime also has Big Tiddy Animal Girls and other unapologetic fanservice. It really feels like blatant pandering.

I can appreciate what this person is saying about normalizing sex, but I don't appreciate the idea that we should be more kind and forgiving to "perverts". I don't think people hate perverts just because they have perverted thoughts that they keep to themselves. People hate sexism and sexual assault. Those things are so normalized in our society and especially in anime tropes, so it's absurd to me that the author and other people in the industry are going around talking about "forgiving perverts" like it's a bold move.

This really comes off as an "own the libs and people who care about social justice" type of sentiment.
Daigunbuster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm not seeing where he's speaking about sex positivity.
LuzOx

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:52 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
It's getting kind of exhausting how people are mixing up "sex positivity" with "casual/rampant sexual assault".

I think the mangaka is referring to how it depicts these thing. You know, like in some cases with a lot of western shows like GOT, Vikings, etc. You know, like how there were some underage characters in GOT (Books) that had sexual relationships, there was a
a lot of raoefnd adultery, etc, etc, and now one said anything bad about it, people loves those books and shows (Let's ignore the last seasons of got and vikings haha). So I guess Mushoku is one of those few Anime That include that aspect of raw sexual stuff from mature fantasy stories, you don't see a lot of that in Anime, So I guess this is one of the few shows that include those elements...

But, the pedo stuff is just wrong. Goddammit, such a good show eclipsed by that shit. I'm just trying to ignore it and enjoy it like I do with Made in Abyss.
Casval Rem Deikun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Very well said, spot on. I've been a fan of Mushoku Tensei for a long while and it's great to see another established person speak up for the series. I hope ANN reviews can start to grow up a bit with their reviews and stop the pc baby crying. Like the say goes: if you don't like it, don't watch/read it.

Last edited by Casval Rem Deikun on Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:01 pm Reply with quote
"Accept the perverts and let them bloom" is a whole hell of a lot different from "show sex as it was in Medieval times"

Think the author here is conflating two completely different things.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Casval Rem Deikun wrote:
Very well said, spot on. I've been a fan of Mushoku Tensei for a long while and it's great to see another established person speak up for the series. I hope ANN reviews can start to grow up a bit with their reviews and stop the pc baby crying.

I think Theron has been very fair to the series as far as its sexual content goes. Which reviews are you talking about?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sly05

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:04 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:

Also, the argument that the portrayal of sexual assault in the series makes it more realistic is poor at best. Mushoku Tensei isn't exactly taking a critical examination of Rudy et al.'s actions. It's at best it's playing it for laughs or an excuse for fanservice. At worst it is presented as an Incel power fantasy. Either way it comes across as adolescent.

There are tons of dark fantasy or historic fiction literature that deals with those kind of themes in a considerably less problematic way. Where those portrayals differ from Mushoku Tensei is that they actually confront the consequences on the victims and present a more critical portrayal of the characters and society that allowed it. Here it's "Oh, Paul's a rapist? Haha, that rascal!".
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I feel like a lot of people don't really get the point of all of this.

This series basically its telling it's audience about the more likely conditions people would find themselves if they both were reincarnate with their old memories intact as well as how a midevil society even in a fantasy setting would actually behave.

As a lot of times, isekai in general tend to ignore a lot of these issues and go for just pure ecchi or would make the mc this all goodey twoshoes or even as a pervert does not do anything extreme.

Rudy is the type of MC who basically embodied the worst quality of being both an otaku as well as non contributing adult in his old life. This story is pretty much a redemption series for him but face it, he was still an adult and he had bad habits that made him scummy even now. the point is to see him gradually improve himself as a person, but you can't make someone improve themselves without still acknowlging and confronting the bad habits that had and to develop a characther you can just rush it like'' Hey im reborn il act good no more perverniss Very Happy'' like that with a snap of a finger.

People who truly want to improve have to struggle and at times still carry bad traits if most people had the ability to change their way just like that we would of not have so many problems that our own societies have faced since the dawn of humanity.

Is Rudy a pervet with bad faults and little creepy? Yes
Does this shy away from extreme uncomfortable situations? No
Does it depict at least Rudy trying to improve? Yes

That is the point. If u truly want characther development from being a worse type of person to a good person, than you must accept his faults, give it time to and proper development and sooner or later you will see how they developed as a result.

As long as the writing is showing that the mc is trying and is actually getting better and progress is made than it is heading in the right direction, even if they still carry faults. I mean everyone will always have faults that is just being human, it just depends if it effects those around you in a negative manner and weather your actions would hurt someone.

Ok i said my peace. This is just my opinion if u dont agree fine but at least give me a proper reason as to why.
BonelessChicken

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:17 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:

Did you understand what's he was trying to say? Mushoku uses sex not to depict vulgarity of your wish (fantasy) like another erotic novel/manga/anime like what Redo of Healer does but try to depict the reality. First adultery, m*sturbati*n when seeing or hearing an intercourse like people m*stu*bate to p*rn and the author didn't shy away from the it (taboos) because that's is reality.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Watching the anime adaptation of Mushoku Tensei reaffirmed to me that it's both a Shо̄setsuka ni Narо̄ novel landmark as well as a work with a certain eccentricity about it.

Wholly agree with this, as well as the rest Asahiro wrote.

Thespacemaster wrote:
People who truly want to improve have to struggle and at times still carry bad traits if most people had the ability to change their way just like that we would of not have so many problems that our own societies have faced since the dawn of humanity.

Is Rudy a pervet with bad faults and little creepy? Yes
Does this shy away from extreme uncomfortable situations? No
Does it depict at least Rudy trying to improve? Yes

That is the point. If u truly want characther development from being a worse type of person to a good person, than you must accept his faults, give it time to and proper development and sooner or later you will see how they developed as a result.

@Thespacemaster, I agree with the above, and your whole post is a very good take, in my opinion.
Isvaffel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:25 pm Reply with quote
It irks me that Asahiro uses "pervert" as euphemism for "pedophile child molester." It's like using those words is dirty and a taboo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious to know what he meant by this line
Quote:
if you're going to depict a culture on the level of the Middle Ages, then there's no way to escape from sex
Is he referring to Japan at that time, Europe or the world as a whole? It sounds like Japan given where the show is from, but it also a Sword and sorcery show, and therefore has a European style setting. More importantly what exactly is he saying,
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Casval Rem Deikun wrote:
Very well said, spot on. I've been a fan of Mushoku Tensei for a long while and it's great to see another established person speak up for the series. I hope ANN reviews can start to grow up a bit with their reviews and stop the pc baby crying. Like the say goes: if you don't like it, don't watch/read it.

If I recall correctly some of these reviews on this site are requested so that's a funny request even more so as that suggestion would also apply to the people who don't like criticisms from the reviewers on certain works.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8