• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Skate-Leading Stars Directors Goro Taniguchi and Riki Fukushima

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oggers

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:42 am Reply with quote
I'll be honest, I wanted to like this going in, but...I wasn't really impressed by it. They don't really bother to explain much about how skate-leading works in the show itself, and despite the attractive character designs the characters themselves are all mainly just jerks to each other and not even that memorable in terms of personality.

I understand that they wanted to do something different from other figure skating anime with this series (no prizes for guessing which one in particular), but the overall result was honestly not much different from most team sports anime with attractive male casts.
jroa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Good interview. I thought the show was fine. Not terrible, not great.

Sadly, it would have been more popular if they went full YOI clone. Some would complain, no doubt, but more viewers would be on board. They didn't lean too hard on that angle and it did end up closer to a typical sports anime, but I don't hate that.

The characters being jerks to each other is...well, quite expected of teenagers. I still remember high school, so don't tell me it wasn't full of jerks. Which seems reasonable to me but, of course, I can understand not everyone likes that type of behavior.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:20 pm Reply with quote
jroa wrote:
Good interview. I thought the show was fine. Not terrible, not great.

Sadly, it would have been more popular if they went full YOI clone. Some would complain, no doubt, but more viewers would be on board. They didn't lean too hard on that angle and it did end up closer to a typical sports anime, but I don't hate that.

The characters being jerks to each other is...well, quite expected of teenagers. I still remember high school, so don't tell me it wasn't full of jerks. Which seems reasonable to me but, of course, I can understand not everyone likes that type of behavior.

Disagree. I don't think cloning another anime is effective especially when the creative team had no intention of doing so and wanted to tell a more team oriented story. I think there is room for both types of stories, and the effectiveness of either story is up to personal preference. Plus, anime fans would just knock it as the poor mans YOI, and most of the discussion would just be comparisons to it, like, everyone seems to keep comparing 2.43 to Haikyuu, or Ahiru no Sora was constantly compared to Kurobas. Lastly once something is a clone, people just, you know dip out.

There were things I liked in both shows and things I didn't like in either, and YOI suffered at times from being a bit too ambitious and sticking to reality, and seemed to need a bit more episodes to better hash out relationships, and add some more character to the side cast, can only feel the need to be ambitious is probably why the writer is struggling so much to write the movie.

LIked the more high school team sports focus of Skate-leading stars and thought they nailed making figure skating a team and exciting sport. Was really into them and liked how they managed to do an entire grand prix in a single season. While one more episode could have helped things out, I think by having the 3rd years want to reach a goal, and the two protagonists focused on Shinozaki was an effective story. While visuals also werent there at times, can only pin it on the pandemic affective anime.

Also the OST was fantastic.

Cant wait to see the dub
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1