• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Problems with anime surpassing the manga

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BuffaloStyle

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 11:28 am Reply with quote
While I am very happy with the new Inu Yasha episodes on AS this week, I think that the IY manga is falling too far behind where the anime is.

I've always thought that manga get people interested in seeing an anime. I'm not so sure that it works as well the other way around. So, if that's the case, people may stop buying the manga if it gets too far behind. What do you all think?
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 11:50 am Reply with quote
generally, for me at least, anime gets me into reading manga, but yes, if the manga is too far behind where the anime is, and the anime is not completed, then I generally stop buying the manga, esp. if the manga and anime are pretty much the same with nothing distinctly different...I tend to lose interest in reading the manga...
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Since the Inu-Yasha anime is based on the manga, the manga isn't falling behind, the anime is running ahead. The usual process is the anime adapts the manga until it runs out of manga to adapt. Then they make original anime episodes until there are enough new manga stories to start adapting those again. Rumiko Takahashi is as fast and prolific as anyone in comics, but no one can cook up enough manga to keep up with the voracious TV schedule.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
BuffaloStyle

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 1:16 am Reply with quote
Manga falling behind/anime running ahead. For the point I was trying to make, either statement works. My concern is if the anime goes too far ahead of the released manga, people will lose interest in the manga itself since they have already seen what is coming up.

I see your point about original anime episodes when the anime gets ahead of the manga but that isn't the situation here. The anime is moving ahead because the manga GNs are (at the moment) being released slowly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1