• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Log Horizon, Undertale, and the Tales Game Mechanics Can Tell

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:56 am Reply with quote
Another title that can be added to the list of media actively dealing with the artificial nature of the world is the ongoing Spider isekai, where there's religion worshiping "voice of the Goddess" that announces your level-ups and gained skills, that and (big spoiler, though I tried to limit it) spoiler[one of the characters learns about another character's death through receiving unique title that only one character at any moment can posses - and which the just deceased character possessed].
And there's of course Doki Doki Literature Club, though that one cannot be explained without massive spoilers.
gsilver

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Lisa: The Painful RPG did an absolutely fantastic job of how it wove together its mechanics and story, especially towards the end. You really couldn't convey some of that stuff without gameplay, as it makes you acutely aware of the physical and emotional state of your character through mechanics, though it never breaks the 4th wall, as far as I remember.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:50 pm Reply with quote
gsilver wrote:
Lisa: The Painful RPG did an absolutely fantastic job of how it wove together its mechanics and story, especially towards the end. You really couldn't convey some of that stuff without gameplay, as it makes you acutely aware of the physical and emotional state of your character through mechanics, though it never breaks the 4th wall, as far as I remember.

You reminded me that I have that one still on Steam backlog and I have to go through it finally, even if I dread for my heart a bit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1