Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyo Babylon 2021 Studio GoHands Sues King Records for 450 Million Yen Over Canceled Anime


Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Abraham Omosun



Joined: 05 Mar 2020
Posts: 96
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:10 am Reply with quote
450 million yen for a 2 cour anime. Wonder if it is relatively high or low. The producers must have really wanted to clean their hands off this one if they initially wanted to continue then dropped the show even if the studio had 13 completed episodes though they should pay the remaining for the 1st 13.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Escaflowne2001



Joined: 29 Jul 2006
Posts: 443
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:57 am Reply with quote
They should pay for the first 13 episodes completely because they have been finished. It's sad that there's 13 episodes out there, that we will never see. Hopefully they'll leak one day.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Egan Loo



Joined: 25 Feb 2005
Posts: 1075
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:25 am Reply with quote
It's worth nothing that the 13 episodes worth of animation may not have been ready for viewing. The anime studio may have delivered its work on the 13 episodes, but the animation may not have had all the dialogue, sound effects, music, or other elements of post-production added yet.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MagicPolly



Joined: 26 Nov 2020
Posts: 419
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:02 am Reply with quote
If they never signed a contract for the second cour, do they even have the right to sue for the payment? Especially since those episodes weren't even finished. Are they even in a position to sue considering the massive amounts of plagerism that have been found in both TB 2021 and their other works?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ermat_46



Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 626
Location: Philippines
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:24 am Reply with quote
MagicPolly wrote:
If they never signed a contract for the second cour, do they even have the right to sue for the payment? Especially since those episodes weren't even finished. Are they even in a position to sue considering the massive amounts of plagerism that have been found in both TB 2021 and their other works?


Work was done on the initial 13 episodes, and people still need to be paid for that. A character designer in GoHands overlooking the plagiarism in designs does not mean that the work of the in-betweeners, production desk, etc. shouldn't be paid for their work.

Egan Loo wrote:


It's worth nothing that the 13 episodes worth of animation may not have been ready for viewing. The anime studio may have delivered its work on the 13 episodes, but the animation may not have had all the dialogue, sound effects, music, or other elements of post-production added yet.


The Crunchyroll article (on the same topic) stated that the 13 episodes were finished. Not sure why CR's version would say that it is finished if that is without post-production. See here: https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2021/08/05-1/gohands-sues-king-records-for-unpaid-production-costs-on-the-cancelled-tokyo-babylon-2021-anime


Last edited by Ermat_46 on Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MFrontier



Joined: 13 Apr 2014
Posts: 2062
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:30 am Reply with quote
Well, this is becoming a right mess...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MagicPolly



Joined: 26 Nov 2020
Posts: 419
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:35 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
MagicPolly wrote:
If they never signed a contract for the second cour, do they even have the right to sue for the payment? Especially since those episodes weren't even finished. Are they even in a position to sue considering the massive amounts of plagerism that have been found in both TB 2021 and their other works?


Work was done on the initial 13 episodes, and people still need to be paid for that. A character designer in GoHands overlooking the plagiarism in designs does not mean that the work of the in-betweeners, production desk, etc. shouldn't be paid for their work.

I understand that, but the article states
Quote:
GoHands is suing not only for the remaining 281.6 million yen (about US$2.57 million) under the contract, but also for 171.82 million yen (about US$1.57 million) for episodes 14 to 21. (According to the lawsuit, GoHands and King Records had not yet formally signed a contract for these later episodes.)

I don't understand why they're suing for payment for episodes 14-21 when those weren't finished and they weren't under contract for them. Maybe it's a situation where you just sue for as much as you can and the judge decides what you actually get, I'm not sure how these things work


Last edited by MagicPolly on Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
merr



Joined: 11 Dec 2004
Posts: 275
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:37 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
Work was done on the initial 13 episodes, and people still need to be paid for that. A character designer in GoHands overlooking the plagiarism in designs does not mean that the work of the in-betweeners, production desk, etc. shouldn't be paid for their work.

The studio is responsible for paying those staff, not the production committee. The animators were likely all paid at the time their work was being completed. The studio is suing to recover losses, which includes money spent on production, i.e., wages.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Egan Loo



Joined: 25 Feb 2005
Posts: 1075
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:41 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
Egan Loo wrote:
It's worth nothing that the 13 episodes worth of animation may not have been ready for viewing. The anime studio may have delivered its work on the 13 episodes, but the animation may not have had all the dialogue, sound effects, music, or other elements of post-production added yet.


The Crunchyroll article (on the same topic) stated that the 13 episodes were finished. Not sure why CR's version would say that it is finished if that is without post-production. See here: https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2021/08/05-1/gohands-sues-king-records-for-unpaid-production-costs-on-the-cancelled-tokyo-babylon-2021-anime


Because that site's article assumed too much. The original Japanese text read, "13話分を納品。" The text did not say the 13 episodes completed post-production, and GoHands would not necessarily be responsible for several phases of post-production.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kuma991



Joined: 20 Jan 2021
Posts: 35
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:48 am Reply with quote
Considering their track record of works that are unbearable to look at, and also in light of this attempt to recover losses of expenses already paid (presumably, they don't pay their animators and staff upon actual air date), I'd say it's time to call it a day for GoHands.
Nothing of value has been lost.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Soulwarfare



Joined: 10 Dec 2017
Posts: 278
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:50 am Reply with quote
GoHands is a terrible animation studio anyway. Their anime looks so ugly and the plot is absolutely terrible.

However, I think GoHands is right to sue King Records for not paying them even though they already done 13 episodes.

I kind of want the anime to see the light of day, even though it is GoHands...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
xxmsxx



Joined: 06 Sep 2017
Posts: 180
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:57 am Reply with quote
Glad to see exact numbers associated with the episode count. It does suggest generally speaking that without $2 million, you essentially cannot produce even one cour of anime.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jefcat



Joined: 09 Feb 2006
Posts: 65
Location: Palm Desert
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:12 am Reply with quote
Quite a sh*tstorm. But it does seem that King Records should pay out on a completed contract if the work was delivered, more-so because Go Hands was apparently willing to correct the problems. The decision did seem very drastic at the time. And the payment for the second cour is probably for work done. By the time of the cancellation, no doubt work had proceeded on the reasonable assumption that the second cour was going ahead. Go Hands’ track record is of NO consequence to the situation. King knew their work when they signed the contract. There are likely plenty of details that haven’t been released including King Records’ side of the story, but it looks like Go Hands has a pretty strong argument.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Greed1914



Joined: 28 Oct 2007
Posts: 3801
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:43 am Reply with quote
MagicPolly wrote:

I don't understand why they're suing for payment for episodes 14-21 when those weren't finished and they weren't under contract for them. Maybe it's a situation where you just sue for as much ass you can and the judge decides what you actually get, I'm not sure how these things work


Sometimes you can successfully collect on something like that under the idea that if the other side didn't break the contract, you would have had those future payments. Personally, I've always thought that was pretty presumptuous, and I doubt it will work here. The general rule with anime tends to be that you don't assume that a deal is happening until it has happened. The production could have gone smoothly and aired as planned, and King still could have decided it didn't want more episodes, so I'd be pretty surprised if GoHands got anything for that part.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
omiya



Joined: 21 Sep 2011
Posts: 1669
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:08 am Reply with quote
Quick query on the citation of the newspaper: wouldn't one state "Asahi Shimbun" rather than just "Asahi"?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group