• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses New Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya Film

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:53 pm Reply with quote
ballsy to release a film of this kind of IP in a theater
RockSplash

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:16 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:

Except its not. It says its releasing it for home video and streaming. I don't think this film would ever release in a US theater anytime soon. Honestly, outside of Madoka, has any Magical girl series released in theaters in the US or western market?
09jcg

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I just wish someone would license the manga....
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:36 pm Reply with quote
RockSplash wrote:
Honestly, outside of Madoka, has any Magical girl series released in theaters in the US or western market?

Movies based on Sailor Moon, Cardcaptor Sakura and Nanoha have received U.S. theatrical runs. There are probably more I'm unaware of.
JojoJoeojou

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:19 pm Reply with quote
RockSplash wrote:
cookiemanstah wrote:

Except its not. It says its releasing it for home video and streaming. I don't think this film would ever release in a US theater anytime soon. Honestly, outside of Madoka, has any Magical girl series released in theaters in the US or western market?

Their article weirdly doesn't say anything about it, but on their twitter they've announced they're bringing it to U.S theaters with more info coming soon.
RockSplash

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:23 pm Reply with quote
^

Oh wow. Well, that is going to be...an experiance. I like Fate except for Prisma, so I will be out of that one.
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:53 pm Reply with quote
^
prisma has good elements to it but it's definitely for lolicons first and foremost
Farhanawesome

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Will Sentai dub this movie again ? i mean could see Sentai will NOT dub it because it was a FATE franchise and some of them like Garden of Sinners, Today's menu for emiya, Carnival Phantasm are not get dubbed.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Farhanawesome wrote:
Will Sentai dub this movie again ? i mean could see Sentai will NOT dub it because it was a FATE franchise and some of them like Garden of Sinners, Today's menu for emiya, Carnival Phantasm are not get dubbed.

They dubbed the first 3 seasons of Prillya but not Oath Under Snow and Prisma Phantasm so it's a toss up. (3rei is also not dubbed but that was picked up by Crunchy)
FlareKnight

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Honestly getting it into theaters would be a good call. That movie should have some crazy fights that would shine pretty well on the big screen. Probably won't be a very widespread release, but not a bad move.
Firefly251

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:38 am Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
prisma has good elements to it but it's definitely for lolicons first and foremost

yeah....if they could gut the fanserice of iilya it would be better.

kid Gilga is hilarious.
Sheenoobuu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:27 am Reply with quote
Sad I thought this would mean they were going to have a theatrical release soon then. seems it's quite the opposite. Guess I'll rent it on Amazon probably
SpiritSmoocher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:36 am Reply with quote
Glad to see Sentai is still in the licensing game. The Fate franchise isn't wholly licensed by one since the FGO side is done by Sony and Prillya side done by Sentai
Catsplay

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:20 am Reply with quote
Prisma Illya is my favorite Fate series bar none outside the original Visual Novel so I'm super happy to see how much it's exploded in popularity in recent years. It's definitely not just lolibait like some people think, it feels like a full on route from the original VN with the themes it tackles and the lore expansion and fights elevate it even higher. This movie is adapting some of the best material from the 3rei manga so I'm excited to finally see many iconic scenes animated.

I just hope this means that the 3rei anime and the entire manga get licensed for physical release in the near future. It sucks that I own the first three anime seasons, the movie, and Prisma Phantasm but can't complete my collection because 3rei is in licensing hell. Really looking forward to at least seeing this new movie in theaters!
Series5Ranger

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:23 am Reply with quote
MagicPolly wrote:
Farhanawesome wrote:

They dubbed the first 3 seasons of Prillya but not Oath Under Snow and Prisma Phantasm so it's a toss up. (3rei is also not dubbed but that was picked up by Crunchy)

and the only reason Crunchy got it was because it was the victim of the umbrella deal of that one year CR got everything from Kadokawa. They got Brave Witches that year too, but thanks to the Partnership with Funimation that got dubbed and released on Home Video
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1