• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Free! Anime Cast Member Tatsuhisa Suzuki to Continue Voicing Makoto

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Яeverse

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:21 am Reply with quote
Movie delays incoming??? I thought voicing is the last thing to do in anime.
NobodysDawn

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:46 am Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
Movie delays incoming??? I thought voicing is the last thing to do in anime.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-08-17/1st-free-the-final-stroke-film-theme-song-trailer-put-on-hold-due-to-oldcodex-hiatus/.176350
Pinky.Chase

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:27 am Reply with quote
I'm glad that they appreciate Makoto's character and actor that much.

Makoto is one of my favourites. Nitori is another one that i like :p .

It's a two parts film and it doesn't need to be rushed.

Fans outside Japan are going to wait a lot to watch Free! movies so it doesn't matter to have delays.

I think that everything need to calm down.
BlueOla

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:49 am Reply with quote
Honestly, I'm sad that they even need to confirm that he's not going anywhere. I know this has more to do with his hiatus than the scandal but let's be honest, it's not uncommon for Japanese franchises to drop anyone who could negatively affect their sales like a hot potato. Of course, recasting one of the main characters after three seasons and several movies would probably affect their sales even more severely, so this was an easy choice and not much of a gamble, but like I said, it's sad they even needed to discuss it among with the staff, producers and his agency.

Now given the rumors of his suicide attempt, the bigger concern is: will he even be alive to voice Makoto in the 2nd film that's coming next year. I really REALLY hope that he is getting the help he needs but I hope we know by now how Japan doesn't treat mental health seriously at all - you're either perfectly fine or you need to be institutionalized, no in-betweens.

So yeah I hope this is the beginning of the shitstorm blowing over and that he will come back when he feels better, with the performative apology that Japanese fans are demanding in order to set their consciences at ease and let him continue his career as normal.
ryonomiko
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:20 pm Reply with quote
As someone already said, SAD that it even has to be CONSIDERED for him to continue or not. Relieved by the news, but angry too!

And I really hope his suicide attempt was not real news Crying or Very sad
The rumour crap has all the attention and little focus (seems) on his well being (if he truly stepped away due to fatigue/stress).

American athlete steps away from competition at Olympics due to mental health and gets praised around the world... do the same Japan.
Blazaking

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Is everyone in this thread not aware of the whole situation with him and LiSA?
Ming Yi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Blazaking wrote:
Is everyone in this thread not aware of the whole situation with him and LiSA?

Oh, no, they 100% are. You'd be amazed at how many people are saying that Bunshun is lying, even though their dating/cheating reports are usually pretty accurate. (They also have photographic evidence that honestly makes the report believable, IMO.) I've also seen some people on this site blame the girl that Suzuki was allegedly cheating with. There's a difference between "I'm sad this may have happened and he was wrong for this, but I'll continue following his career" and "The news media is 100% lying."

I think the reason why this got so big is because LiSA has a sizeable fandom and also because Suzuki has voiced some very popular ikemen characters like Makoto from Free!, Draken from Tokyo Revengers, etc. It's understandable people would feel uncomfortable when hearing his voice, though, in my opinion, cheating isn't illegal and not a reason why someone should be cancelled, even though it's pretty scummy.
cchigu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Celebrity drama bullshit, who cares who cheats on whom? Canceling people for shit this ridiculous is what is wrong with the whole goddammit society.
Pinky.Chase

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:42 am Reply with quote
cchigu wrote:
Celebrity drama bullshit, who cares who cheats on whom? Canceling people for shit this ridiculous is what is wrong with the whole goddammit society.

You're totally right. People is always making "Black or White" statements and judging individuals that they're not going to meet in their entire life.
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:35 pm Reply with quote
As I expected. Suzuki isn't going to lose any roles unless Suzuki doesn't want to voice them. There's also history here, which made me guess right.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1