• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: GKIDS Reveals Future Boy Conan Anime's English Dub Cast

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:28 am Reply with quote
Looks Delicious!

(Eventually someone will get the reference.)
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Is this the longest time it's taken for an Anime to receive an English dub? When Science Ninja Team Gatchaman: The Movie came out people said that was the longest time, and that came out after this and was dubbed before this.
Ultimate N

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Yo is this a CANADIAN DUB?????? LET'S GOOOOOOOO. Like I love me some solid Texas and LA dubs but Canada has some solid dub talent behind it and I'd like to see more variety in voice actors when it comes to anime dubs so I'm glad to see a new dub from Canada.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Hey, Vancouver VA's! Woohoo!
anime-prime

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:43 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Is this the longest time it's taken for an Anime to receive an English dub? When Science Ninja Team Gatchaman: The Movie came out people said that was the longest time, and that came out after this and was dubbed before this.
The first episode of Lupin the Third: Part 1 was just announced to be given a dub next month. That would be a fifty year gap. It's only one episode, but it might turn into more in the future. But yeah, Future Boy Conan is probably the longest full series dub wait of all time so far.
#LevantineA'rabiAnimeFan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:54 pm Reply with quote
However good this dub is, the Arabic dub will always be in my heart, one of the very rare non censored arabic anime dubs, it was done in Iraq and it has an epic op, look it up, its called عدنان و لينا (Adnan wa Lina,)
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Canadian dub, let's gooooooooo!!!

The more Canadian dubs, the better.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RockSplash

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:57 pm Reply with quote
anime-prime wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
The first episode of Lupin the Third: Part 1 was just announced to be given a dub next month. That would be a fifty year gap. It's only one episode, but it might turn into more in the future. But yeah, Future Boy Conan is probably the longest full series dub wait of all time so far.

Can you give a source to the Lupin? I thought it was impossible for them to dub.
anime-prime

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:09 pm Reply with quote
RockSplash wrote:
anime-prime wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

Can you give a source to the Lupin? I thought it was impossible for them to dub.
https://twitter.com/WTK/status/1439394398182256640 This is the tweet. It's part of a chain tweet, so reading the whole chain might provide a bigger picture.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:13 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Is this the longest time it's taken for an Anime to receive an English dub?

Future Boy Conan already had an Animax Asia English dub in the mid-2000s.
Ultimate N

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:54 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
Is this the longest time it's taken for an Anime to receive an English dub?

Future Boy Conan already had an Animax Asia English dub in the mid-2000s.

Animax dubs don't really count to be fair LOL Just because they're never made for US audiences and the majority of them are worse than the worst Sentai Filmworks dub (should note I like Sentai dubs but it's hard to deny they have the worst track record amongst the US based dubbing companies)
Mr. slicer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:08 am Reply with quote
I’m wondering since the Doyle estate is extremely litigious and still technically have a copyright of the last 10 Holmes stories until 2023 if this means that the dubbers made a deal with the Doyle Estate or if they decided to take their chances. I’m bringing this up since most of us know other works with Conan in the title have been previously changed.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:19 am Reply with quote
Mr. slicer wrote:
I’m wondering since the Doyle estate is extremely litigious and still technically have a copyright of the last 10 Holmes stories until 2023 if this means that the dubbers made a deal with the Doyle Estate or if they decided to take their chances. I’m bringing this up since most of us know other works with Conan in the title have been previously changed.

Shouldn't you be asking about the Conan the Barbarian people? Just because Doyle's middle name is Conan doesn't mean his estate owns it as a trademark.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:21 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

I wouldn’t count the Gatchaman movie. 99% of that dub uses recycled audio from ADV’s dub of the TV series (which makes sense since it’s a compilation film). The only new dubbing was for the narrator and Leader X in the opening scene (the only original animation in the film).
Mr. slicer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:35 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Mr. slicer wrote:

Shouldn't you be asking about the Conan the Barbarian people? Just because Doyle's middle name is Conan doesn't mean his estate owns it as a trademark.

Ops my mistake I got confused sine the estate was known for lawsuits. That does still leave you with the question if whether or not a deal was made with the people that own Conan the Barbarian or not. Does anyone know if something happened to the trademark between the time Case Closed aired in English and now?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2