• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Dark History of the Reincarnated Villainess GN 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
#HayamiLover

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Why does female isekai almost always occur in pseudo-renaissance otome games? Yes, male isekai also cites game clichés a lot, but guys almost never get into the literal game.
RenimLS

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:20 pm Reply with quote
I think it's kind of a shoujo vs shounen divide. A lot female protag isekai series revolve around character relationships and work on developing those relationships, which is why otome game settings tend to be common and they pick a fantasy game setting idle for that focus. Male protag isekai instead tend toward skills and leveling, with relationships developing as a secondary because of the protag's impressive skills or levels to save the day. Those then would play out more like traditional console fantasy rpg with going out into the world to continue leveling and gaining skills by adventuring to ever new sites and situations.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:50 pm Reply with quote
#HayamiLover wrote:
Why does female isekai almost always occur in pseudo-renaissance otome games? Yes, male isekai also cites game clichés a lot, but guys almost never get into the literal game.

That's not the case here, though. It is extremely central to the concept that this is a story Iana/Konoha wrote herself as an adolescent.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1