• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of Fall 2021, Nov 5-11

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Wow sakugan cannot catch a break, I only watched the 1st episode and didn't think much of it but I never though it would be competing with fruit/yashahim/platinum for bottom spot.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:23 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Wow sakugan cannot catch a break, I only watched the 1st episode and didn't think much of it but I never though it would be competing with fruit/yashahim/platinum for bottom spot.

Can someone please tell me what the series is doing so horribly wrong? I am fairly caught up and while it's not ground breaking....
It doesn't have bad animation...in fact its quite good, the writing is doing a decent job, the characters and world are interesting.....so what is it doing so horribly to earn this?
Jops

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 9:16 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
...so what is it doing so horribly to earn this?

On a technical standpoint, nothing really. As you said, animation, dialogues and characters are actually decent.

The problem, as i see it, is that it underdelivers on what it promised and the disappointment shows in the ranking.

The first couple episodes were pretty strong and did a solid introduction to the main quest with elements of mystery regarding the origin of the map-gem and the monsters that somehow were unusually targeting our protagonists.
But then, it kinda drops the ball and the show sends us off to what appear like unrelated side quests that feel more like annoying distractions than something that adds to the main plot. Add to it some attempts at humor that fell flat and some clumsy pacing and you get the impression that this show has already jumped the shark.

It is still in time to redeem itself, but I admit I'm not really keeping my hopes up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1