• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Light Yagami Encourages Hondurans to Vote In Presidential Election

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeino

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:38 am Reply with quote
Because a murderous, sociopathic fascist is clearly the best endorsement you could pick.
Dayraven

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:42 am Reply with quote
“It’s a secret ballot, I definitely won’t be making a note of the people who vote for the wrong candidate.”
monsieurb1982

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:45 am Reply with quote
An ad with Light Yagami as the new spoleman of democracy. What's next? Hunter X Hunter's Hisoka as the new spokeman of an all boy elementary school? O_o
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:09 am Reply with quote
Vote or light Yagami will have political power........

Are you allowed to threaten people in a political ad?
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:00 am Reply with quote
monsieurb1982 wrote:
An ad with Light Yagami as the new spoleman of democracy. What's next? Hunter X Hunter's Hisoka as the new spokeman of an all boy elementary school? O_o

We already have Luffy from One Piece talk against piracy, so anything is possible.

animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2014-10-16/luffy-naruto-conan-kirito-eren-join-forces-to-fight-piracy/.80017
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:43 am Reply with quote
So you’re telling me I can use a page from the Death Note for a write-in ballot?
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:44 am Reply with quote
Is there potentially a reason behind this choice? Like trying to encourage younger voters? Is DN relatively popular than other anime titles or something? If someone can kindly provide some context here, it would be greatly appreciated.
RockSplash

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:14 am Reply with quote
xxmsxx wrote:
Is there potentially a reason behind this choice? Like trying to encourage younger voters? Is DN relatively popular than other anime titles or something? If someone can kindly provide some context here, it would be greatly appreciated.

My guess is they are targeting younger voters. Younger voters like death note. Death note does have politics in the series, and DN is still extremely popular today. It's a gimmick. I don't really understand it only studying in Marketing(not from Honduras), but it is definately an appeal and a call to action(a playful message to vote, though having a killer as your spokesman would never fly here in the US).
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:52 pm Reply with quote
The most likely explanation is that some government propaganda arm, or marketing firm, who are entirely clueless about anime, decided to use anime to attract the young folk's attention. Randomly picked a popular anime from a list, and simply picked the main character without knowing anything about him. Or they just looked at a bunch of images of main characters from various shows on a projection screen, saw Light as the most sensible - handsome male student dressed like a normal person - versus Super saiyans and other sword weilding fantasy characters and big boob ladies - and marketing said to go with that as the image for the campaign.

These important adult people aren't actually going to watch the shows. Cartoons are for kids after all and in their memories cartoons are tame cat'n'mouse affairs that are usually educational and teach children good moral lessons and to fight in WWII.

Yes, these are the people in government, advertising and the media. Judge accordingly.
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:59 pm Reply with quote
RockSplash wrote:
not from Honduras

Appreciate your thoughts, but I was kind of hoping it would someone at least from the region because, I am sure you are aware of this since you study Marketing, regional variety is a real thing.

Take Case Closed/Detective Conan for example. It has household recognizability in Japan. In other parts of East Asia, it does have fairly wide recognizability as well, even amongst people who don't watch anime. But if you come to North America, plenty of people know the show, but it is most definitely not THAT well know. Europe is a different story, so is the Middle East.

If the newspaper decided to choose this title, it must think there is appeal to whoever the target audience is. How did they arrive to this conclusion? I want to presume that the entire series is at least legally available to viewers in Honduras on some streaming service. But is it? I would love to know more about how anime communities operate in Central America in general, if it helps.
RockSplash

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:07 pm Reply with quote
xxmsxx wrote:
RockSplash wrote:
not from Honduras

Appreciate your thoughts, but I was kind of hoping it would someone at least from the region because, I am sure you are aware of this since you study Marketing, regional variety is a real thing.

Take Case Closed/Detective Conan for example. It has household recognizability in Japan. In other parts of East Asia, it does have fairly wide recognizability as well, even amongst people who don't watch anime. But if you come to North America, plenty of people know the show, but it is most definitely not THAT well know. Europe is a different story, so is the Middle East.

If the newspaper decided to choose this title, it must think there is appeal to whoever the target audience is. How did they arrive to this conclusion? I want to presume that the entire series is at least legally available to viewers in Honduras on some streaming service. But is it? I would love to know more about how anime communities operate in Central America in general, if it helps.

I hope somebody can help you out. I know some anime cultures(YuYuHakusho is beloved in Brazil, Saint Seiya is huge in Mexico, and Lupin might as well have a second home in Italy), but this I am not so sure.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:58 am Reply with quote
I would've used L instead of Light personally, but...
delirante_otaku

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:45 am Reply with quote
I really hope to have an update on this if the guy won or not
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1