• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Requiem of the Rose King

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:22 pm Reply with quote
This show's minimal animation reminds me a lot of The Violinist of Hamelin, which often felt like a slide show. I like the story so far, but I felt like too much happened in the first two episodes, so I checked out the beginning of the source material, and it turns out the show has already covered 1 and a half manga volume. I guess it means they intend to adapt all 17 volumes in just two cours. Well, at least it means the show will have a definite ending.
ab2143

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:50 pm Reply with quote
I’m really glad there’s going to be weekly streaming reviews for this series.

I can’t tell whether the limited animation is intentional or is a result of production issues
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:59 pm Reply with quote
ab2143 wrote:

I can’t tell whether the limited animation is intentional or is a result of production issues

I've been debating that, and I think I'm coming down on the side of intentional thus far. The use of color and pattern is what's making me think it's deliberate.

Zhou-BR, I think that's a real possibility, given the pacing of these episodes. I'm still hoping they slow down a bit once they're more into the Richard III storyline.
SHD

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
ab2143 wrote:

I've been debating that, and I think I'm coming down on the side of intentional thus far. The use of color and pattern is what's making me think it's deliberate.

If the terrible animation and painfully lackluster visuals in general are intentional, then it's all the worse, to be honest. If you look at the manga it has strong contrasts even on color illustrations, and all-around striking and dramatic visuals, in the good old dramatic shoujo manga way. Compared to that, the anime looks like it was made on a shoestring budget by someone who had no creative vision whatsoever, no ideas what to do with this adaptation other than adding some "dark colors" to the manga panels, because hey it's a dark story, and then slapping it on the screen. Which I think is actually the case.

If I had my way shoujo manga like this would never be adapted unless it was in the hands of someone who can prove they can re-create the drama and dynamics on screen.

Princess_Irene wrote:
Zhou-BR, I think that's a real possibility, given the pacing of these episodes. I'm still hoping they slow down a bit once they're more into the Richard III storyline.

Honestly, I wouldn't hope for that. As someone who had been reading this manga from the day the first chapter was published in Princess, the Henry VI arc is the best part of it all, and I think the anime is doing it an unforgivable injustice. Without any spoilers I was really, really disappointed in the (frankly, unexpected) turn it did shortly after reaching Richard III territory.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, why must such great shojo manga get such lackluster anime? First 7 Seeds, which was laughing stock bad, now this compressed and rushed drama.

Sounds like I'll be sticking with the manga again.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:53 am Reply with quote
At least you cannot blame this to Netflix this time compared with Backstreet Girls and Way of the House Husband, right?
Todd_Harry08

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:05 pm Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:
At least you cannot blame this to Netflix this time compared with Backstreet Girls and Way of the House Husband, right?

Backstreet girls wasn't Netflix's fault like the way of house husband it was kodansha's fault.
ab2143

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:08 pm Reply with quote
This was my most-anticipated title of the season but so far, it’s been disappointing. I‘m not sure if I’ll stick around for the entire season. I’ll definitely read the manga at some point.

Yeah, I agree that there were some cool scenes in this episode. It’s a shame that the cool scenes can’t make up for everything else…
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:18 pm Reply with quote
My biggest complaints so far are that the lead character is a tedious mope, the visual look is often quite dreamlike which has a distancing effect on my emotional engagement and the story is relentlessly joyless. However, there is clearly something to it because I haven't made the decision to drop it yet.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Yeah the production itself is a bit of a disappointment. I was skeptical but still hopeful after the premiere, but it seems it might be too much of a hinderance. It's such a shame because I have heard good things about the manga, particularly it's art.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:00 pm Reply with quote
I don't mind the fairly static look of the series as long as it's not trying to depict much action. Episode 2 was awful (not just because of that) but 1 and 3 were fine
mulletZERO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:48 pm Reply with quote
I have to admit I'm feeling pretty bummed about this adaptation so far, which is a shame because I was really excited for it (but also kept my expectations reasonable) I don't really find myself excited for new episodes every week.

It feels like the production team doesn't really want to work on this- I'm not seeing the passion in this project. Or maybe I'm just spoiled rotten after marathoning Mob Psycho 100. It's too bad...
AQuin1904

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:29 pm Reply with quote
The biggest surprise for me was realizing just how much Shakespeare there is in Rose King. York and Margaret, in particular have a lot of their speeches intact (although some of York's lines are shifted to Warwick to make him more of an instigator, and Margaret gets lines from several other Lancastrian commanders). Henry's shepherd and sundial lines in episode 1 comes from a later scene, while the insults Richard trades with Prince Edward come from the end of 2 Henry VI. Edward has a lot of lines paraphrased in episode 3 as well. I think it's particularly interesting how his interpretation of the sun omen is undercut because he now delivers it while using brotherly bonds as cover for his affair. It's hard not to read that as a comment on his priorities.

As far as the adaptation goes, I like a lot of the more painterly backgrounds and even some of the still shots. What really bother me is all the faceless people. The blank "extras," especially the CGI ones, are distracting and take away the brief moments of humanizing common soldiers that you get in the manga's battle scenes. It's even less excusable how often named characters just don't have their facial features drawn, sometimes even while they speak. Also not a fan of the CGI banners. The color pallet works well for some things, but I worry how the dark tones will work for some later sequences from the manga. They also tend to make everything a little washed out, which is disappointing because the manga makes great use of harsh contrast.

Quote:
the Neville sisters' ages appear to have been reversed. In real life, Anne was the younger sister of Isabel, but here Isabel can be heard addressing Anne as if she were the elder sibling.

Iirc, their ages are mixed up in 3 Henry VI, although Anne is correctly identified as the younger sister in Richard III. I'm guessing Kanno decided to follow the earlier play, although she depicts the Plantagenet boys' ages more accurately than Shakespeare (apart from cutting out Edmund, who Shakespeare made the youngest, and their two sisters who survived to adulthood).
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:13 pm Reply with quote
AQuin1904 wrote:

Iirc, their ages are mixed up in 3 Henry VI, although Anne is correctly identified as the younger sister in Richard III. I'm guessing Kanno decided to follow the earlier play, although she depicts the Plantagenet boys' ages more accurately than Shakespeare (apart from cutting out Edmund, who Shakespeare made the youngest, and their two sisters who survived to adulthood).

That's right, I forgot that one's on Shakespeare. I was disappointed that Kanno chose to cut the Plantagenet sisters in the manga; removing Edmund makes a bit more sense in terms of her portrayal of Richard as the unloved youngest child, but I feel like she could have done some interesting things with the sisters. Oh well, at least we get Jane Shore.
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:03 pm Reply with quote
I finally got around to reading the first volume of the manga the other day (after having it on my to read list for years) and while I liked it I wasn't sure I liked it enough to put in all the money required to buy the remaining volumes.
So I thought I'd watch the anime and see if it inspires me to keep buying, but... Sounds like the anime is not a great adaptation and not a good thing to base my decision off of.
I already felt the first volume was a bit rushed (I had a little trouble following it but then I'm not a history buff for this era nor a Shakespeare fan), but if the anime is rushing it even more, I can only imagine how hard it is for people to follow and get invested in the series.

I guess I'll ponder on it and check out the reviews to see if the show improves at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3