• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Remaster of 1st 2 Klonoa Games Ships for Switch on July 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kicksville

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:49 am Reply with quote
Releasing it on everything. Awesome.

You idiots had better buy it this time!!
wolf10

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:52 am Reply with quote
Whoever cut together Bamco's trailer clearly knows what's up with this series. If video games could win Newberry Medals...

God to see Lunatea's Veil getting a much-needed rerelease. It wouldn't really need much work to meet modern standards, so it kind of felt like Bamco was just leaving free money on the table all these years.

Not sure what's up with this version of Door to Phantomile, though. Booted up my copy of the Wiimake, and it's using the same environments and textures (with new models for Klonoa and Huepow), but they've axed the depth-of-field effect and the water is missing the reflection and refraction effects (what I call GameCube water). The Switch should not have issues with something that ran at full 60FPS on the Wii, so if it's a stylistic choice, it's not a good one. My guess is it was easier to bring the Wiimake down than make Klonoa 2 look better to match, which is a shame.
Klonoa1545

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:07 am Reply with quote
Good heavens, everyone needs to buy and play these games. They are my all-time favorites!
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:08 am Reply with quote
I am excited for this, since the Klonoa games are just all wonderful, and it's awesome that this will be released on essentially everything. This now marks the third of those "Encore" trademarks that came true, after Katamari Damacy & Mr. Driller, so here's hoping the next one will be "Splatterhouse Encore".

As for Klonoa, I do hope that this double-pack does well enough to warrant a second collection, at the very least. Just get M2 to do a triple-pack containing Moonlight Museum, Empire of Dreams, & Dream Champ Tournament, and maybe toss in Klonoa Beach Volleyball as a bonus, too. As for Klonoa Heroes, that would need a full translation (Moonlight Museum is comparatively super-sparse with text), so I imagine that wouldn't even be a possibility unless things do really well for Klonoa today.
Heishi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:18 am Reply with quote
This, EarthBound. XB3, Live A Live, Getsu Den, and of course, Mario are the big highlights for me.

I’m so excited for this!
Love the Klonoa series!
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:27 pm Reply with quote
It's great to see Lunatea's Veil get a re-release, but it's sad they are using the Wii version of Door to Phantomile and not the PS1 version. I wonder if you can buy Lunatea's Veil separately?
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:55 pm Reply with quote
The obvious highlight of the Direct for me! I've wanted this for SO long! Now I just need everyone to buy it and I'll buy a few extras as gifts, so that we can FINALY get a Klonoa 3! I'm going to buy it on every system, just to be sure.

It would also be nice to see the two GBA games come out (and the RPG that never left Japan)
TAnthonyAuld

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Klonoa fans be eating good alright!

But seriously, buy this so we can get more Klonoa!
Northlander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:54 am Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:

This! You had a chance earlier, and too many of you blew it. Do not waste this second chance. Seriously.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:07 am Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
Kicksville wrote:

This! You had a chance earlier, and too many of you blew it. Do not waste this second chance. Seriously.

Second? This is more like the fourth chance for Klonoa to actually sell decently, at the very least.

First Chance? Door to Phantomile on PS1 in 1997 (plus Moonlight Museum on WonderSwan in Japan in 1998, I guess)

Second Chance? The deluge of games in 2001 & 2002 (Lunatea's Veil, Empire of Dreams, Beach Volleyball, Dream Champ Tournament, Klonoa Heroes)

Third Chance? The Wiimake of the first game in 2008

I love the Klonoa Series, but even I am pretty amazed at just how many chances it has gotten, especially since this latest chance if the first time ever since series creator Hideo Yoshizawa (also the creator of the Ninja Gaiden Trilogy on NES!) left Bandai Namco & went freelance back in 2016. If this attempt also fails, I'd be willing to bet that Klonoa will be dead for good.
KlarkKentThe3rd

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:04 pm Reply with quote
The Wiimake can go away and stay away, with its' "creative liberties".

This new remakester duology? Yes, people should definitely buy it. BUT...... I won't. Already have the original, and I do not buy games twice without a reason. Supporting the franchise? I definitely will. Just make a true sequel, a full game in 3D.
Northlander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:50 am Reply with quote
I stand corrected, slightly shamefully. I did know there were other games, but there were mostly a deafenly silence about anything Klonoa in my neck of the wood post the PS2 sequel.

But yeah, it's just such a fantastic pair of games. I still have the two first on PS1 and 2, but I might still go for this.

Oh, who am I trying to fool? I will definitely get this again. =_=
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1