• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tokyo 24th Ward (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:25 am Reply with quote

Tokyo 24th Ward (TV)

Genres:
Themes:

Plot Summary: The Far Eastern Special Administrative Region, also known as the 24th Ward, is a man-made island that sits in Tokyo Bay. Shuta, Ran, and Koki were born and raised on the island. Their family backgrounds, preferences, and personalities are completely different, but they are childhood friends who have always stuck together.

However, one incident changed their relationship forever. A year afterward, the three friends are reunited by chance at a memorial service held for the incident. All three of their phones suddenly ring simultaneously. Their friend, who is supposed to be dead, is calling and demands that they make a decision about the future. The three friends do what they believe is best to protect the 24th Ward and its inhabitants.

Jan. 5, 2022 (Wednesdays; Crunchyroll, FUNimation)
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:52 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

Another show that I am not going to be too kind on, while I am pretty sure that it has received some pretty positive reception. I think that is while it started off pretty strong, especially aesthetically, over time it became clear to me that it was not as smart as it thought that it was. It was very obvious in being explicit of concepts of the trolley problem, and not really doing anything with that beyond saying it breaks the concept of a trolley problem in not choosing. Much more interesting were those things from a few years for self-driving cars, where it posed of a situation where there was no other choice between continue on to hit someone, swerve to hit another person, or crash to hurt the passenger. Those actual ideas looked human comfort of seeing certain types of people as more valuable, if a system should prioritise its passenger, and the idea of making the choice is the problem.

And on similar aspects, I don't look too kindly at some of the politics of this show, where it very much works into a horseshoe idea of too much 'freedom' is as bad as too much 'order'. That is the elites trying to control everyone is as bad letting the masses in shanty towns have their freedom. It kind of much fits into a position of personal responsibility of people choosing to be bad or something, rather the inequality in areas like economics that push the poor people into their position. There really isn't anything about the elites receiving power based on the lower class, and there really isn't an equal situation of some rich guy who lost his wife and later daughter to accidents, to people who I would think literally losing their homes and ways to live.

It is kind of fun and games, where it is treated as both sides having a point, when one side apparently could just choose to have his daughter's corpse converted into a biocomputer, seeming to get in real trouble for that. And never really seems take a stance of something other than a nebulous "the people" get to choose, and something about love. I would say trying to actually avoid anything controversial, which is really a bit silly considering the topic.

My rating is going to be Not really good (4/10), but not a total waste of time either. It had its flashy moments, such as the first episode, but it kind of quickly fell down my list.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1