• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Golden Kamuy Anime Confirms Final Arc

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:33 am Reply with quote
Wow. The tendency of anime to end well before the source material always had me pessimistic that Golden Kamuy would keep going. Even this time, I thought it would be such a shame to end here when it could probably wrap in one more season. The restart of season 4, though certainly understandable, also made me think that it might be a reason for the production committee not to do a final season. I'm pretty pleased to be wrong about that.
BluesPro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:41 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Wow. The tendency of anime to end well before the source material always had me pessimistic that Golden Kamuy would keep going. Even this time, I thought it would be such a shame to end here when it could probably wrap in one more season. The restart of season 4, though certainly understandable, also made me think that it might be a reason for the production committee not to do a final season. I'm pretty pleased to be wrong about that.

Why would you think for even a second that Golden Kamuy would get four full cours but not keep going to the end of the manga?
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:55 am Reply with quote
When season 3 was announced I was convinced the whole manga would eventually be animated. I am happy to be living in a time when full anime adaptations have become common place.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:28 am Reply with quote
The Manga is listed as having 314, so have they been cutting out stuff from the Manga? Because usually one episodes runtime is the equivalent of 2 Manga chapters, so shouldn't this show be around 157 epidotes?
TheSleepyMonkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:34 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
The Manga is listed as having 314, so have they been cutting out stuff from the Manga? Because usually one episodes runtime is the equivalent of 2 Manga chapters, so shouldn't this show be around 157 epidotes?

Yes, there's a lot of cut content from the anime that gets adapted later into OVAs.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:51 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched the fourth season finale yet, but I expect it to end somewhere in the middle of volume 25. That means there are still over 6 volumes' worth of material left to cover, so I'm hoping the production committee will give this final arc as many episodes as it needs.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:21 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

They have cut a few short arcs into OVAs (some would not fly on TV, like spoiler[the prisoner who is known for bestiality], and some don't contribute to the overall plot), but actually the pacing of the latest season has been half a volume per episode. The adaptation has been pretty faithful, with some unnecessary details shaved off here and there.

For example, a few episodes ago, spoiler[they skipped a chapter where they killed a white bear while they were traveling on the ice, before meeting the gold panner. The only thing that contributed to the plot was Sugimoto's crew being afraid that the bear in the woods might have been its ghost, since they had to let it float away.]
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Angel M Cazares wrote:
I am happy to be living in a time when full anime adaptations have become common place.

Same here. Hate to pull the "back in my days" card but man it was damn hard to get a second season those days.
WizardOfOss

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:45 pm Reply with quote
The final arc.....that's not the same as the final season. Heck, even a final season can mean we get more seasons! We can never have too much Golden Kamuy!
SrkSano

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Someday we will find out the truth! <3
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:11 pm Reply with quote
S4 stops halfway through chapter 244 of 314.1. 70.5 chapters with likely one cour, ho boi.

S1&2 powered through 69 to 70 chapters each. S3 went through about 60 and S4 through about 44 but none of this is quite right as the anime has adapted out of order since S1. 4 OVAs for S1+2 did some but not all of the missing chapters there. The anime fixed itself more and more as an adaptation as it went on but S3&4 too have holes and the damn might have fully burst again. GK isn´t one of the full-on broken full adaptations that plagued in the last half-decade but no manga reader will fully recommend it either. Even if we overlook how shoddily animated S1 and 2 were.

Tokyo Mew Mew 2002 adapted the whole manga so the just finished new "full adaptation" is technically the 2nd one but the first show is one of those extended Shoujo adaptations that existed in the 90 to mid-00s. Those 100% went away. Even anime filler is borderline dead now. Good.
Ashita no Joe 1970 + 1980 is a real mess of filler and even overlapping material as series 2 had re-adapt some stuff series 1 did but full adaptations go back to the early 80s. Dragon Ball, etc. LoGH´s OVAs further say hello. Even the 80s to 90s Shonan Bakusozoku OVA, a classic in Japan, is a full adaptation that skipped about 1/3 of the chapters. Full adaptations took a bit of a break from let´s say the mid-00s to the mid-10s but what we have today ain´t some golden land of full adaptations either. Especially when it comes to LNs. Things remain really dire there! Full manga adaptations thankfully increased again but GK ain´t a poster child for them and god throws a coin every time a new one is announced. GK is one of the few that landed on the side. Kenshin´s coin is in the air. Dito for Ōoku.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:44 pm Reply with quote
@TheSleepyMonkey @blahmoomoo Thank you both.
AsleepBySunset

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2023 3:00 am Reply with quote
BluesPro wrote:

Why would you think for even a second that Golden Kamuy would get four full cours but not keep going to the end of the manga?

4 cours is only four cours though. chihayafuru stilling hasn't gotten a next season confirmation and its got 6 cours and 3 seasons. Kyoukai no Rinne also had 6 cours and still hasn't got a fourth season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1